Engine practice

For non Aviation related discussions.

Re: Engine practice

Postby ihab » Tue Dec 02, 2014 10:54 pm

Pickleman wrote:The best education I recieved as to the functionality of an engine came from buying and driving an old VW dunebuggy.

vwglenn wrote:The best engine training you can give yourself is to buy and old VW and get it running.

Seems like a concensus, and wow, Glenn, these are nifty projects. Love the finish on both, taking a wrecker and turning it into a work of art! :)

It will be a while before I have enough space in my living quarters for a whole car-sized project but I'll definitely keep that in mind.

For what it's worth, a friend of mine who seems to have tinkered with absolutely everything, and who used to tune scooters for racing, suggested I pick up a GY6-clone 150cc scooter engine and mess with it:

150cc_GY6_Long_Case.jpg
150cc_GY6_Long_Case.jpg (31.22 KiB) Viewed 1571 times

so I'm looking around for one in my area. If I can find a whole scooter, it might be a useful project in its own right, though that would expand the scope of the project significantly into all the scooter-ey bits. Otherwise, if I can get a used engine cheap enough, I have ambitions to cut the case and turn it into an "aero conversion engine".

Ihab
Ihab Awad, San Jose, CA
ihab

Previous

Return to Off Topic