Reflections on an anniversary

For non Aviation related discussions.

Reflections on an anniversary

Postby Bryan Cotton » Wed Sep 24, 2014 10:35 am

Two years ago, at my former company, all managers were called to a mandatory meeting. I rushed to scan in Sunday's flight cards and get them sent out before the meeting. I had taken the Sunday duty rather than stick my employees with it as 1) I shared the weekend duty to do my fair share and 2) it was a senseless flight being pushed by higher managers for the illusion of progress. I figured it was a United Way meeting, to get us to motivate our employees to participate and donate. Boy was I wrong. They were there to tell us they were closing our facility.

In some ways it is still hard. This was a company that I had been brainwashed to work for since the 3rd grade. My dad worked there too. I had my kids on the same path. I still miss Upstate NY, Harris Hill, and my old EAA chapter where I was president for 6 years. But a decision had to be made. I made one. Nothing like a mid life career change to keep complacency at bay.

This post is not all negative history though. I never would have been building the Waiex with my son had this not happened. We have mostly recovered from the trauma of moving. I live in a great neighborhood. I have a hangar. We found a good scout troop. Sometimes you have to believe that things happen for a reason.
Bryan Cotton
Poplar Grove, IL C77
Waiex 191 N191YX
Taildragger, Aerovee, acro ailerons
dual sticks with sport trainer controls
Prebuilt spars and machined angle kit
Year 2 flying and approaching 200 hours December 23
Bryan Cotton

Re: Reflections on an anniversary

Postby Sonerai13 » Wed Sep 24, 2014 12:19 pm

I know all about mid-life career changes Brian. Like you, mine (twice) has worked out for the best.

Good luck going forward, and keep working on the Waiex!!

Cheers!
Joe Norris
Sonex N208GD (S/N 450)
Sonerai II N13NN (S/N 1206)
Fortes Fortuna Adiuvat
Sonerai13

Re: Reflections on an anniversary

Postby ScottM-Sonex1629 » Wed Sep 24, 2014 12:38 pm

Bryan:

I'm glad it's working out for you and the family. We've moved around a bit ourselves (most recently due to a similar experience as you) and I have found my kids to be more flexible with the change then us Adults!

We too had a mid-life career change in 2008/9 courtesy of the "Lehman" financial shock. My wife lost her job as am architect, and my company had a very similar meetin a few weeks before Christmas that year. 25% of the company was laid off, and the remaining force was reduced to a 9 day pay cycle (out of 10) which resulted in a 10% pay cut. We went from a two income family to 90% of one income in a couple of months.

I ended up with a great job at Honda and we uprooted our family to move to central Ohio. My wife decided to pursue her life dream of being a medical professional and recently graduated from The Ohio State University with her Masters of Nursing and is now a full time FNP working for a large grocery store chain in their health clinic (think minute clinic). She loves her new job and after 6 years I'm loving finally having two incomes again!

In the process of all these moves / career changes it has allowed me to get back into Aviation, and build a Sonex and meet some great people here in Ohio like Mike Farley and Steve (another Waiex owner).

Like you said, take the best from a bad situation and move forward!

Great post!
Scott Meyer
Sonex 1629 - Sold...9/2019
ScottM-Sonex1629

Return to Off Topic