KISS versus HOTAS

For non Aviation related discussions.

Re: KISS versus HOTAS

Postby SvingenB » Mon Aug 18, 2014 12:37 am

Dual HOTAS in a side by side (dual left hand throttle etc) sounds strange. All aircraft I have flown have center everything, if side by side and two sticks. Flying left hand or right hand really isn't a big deal, but I still prefer the stick in the right hand, and the throttle in the left. This leaves flaps and trim to be "re-located". A flaps actuator does not weigh much, and an electric trim weighs only 100 grams or less (by adding a servo and a trim tab).

A tandem is different, there dual HOTAS is natural.
Reserved LN-ENX for Onex #134
Onex build log
SvingenB

Postby DCASonex » Mon Aug 18, 2014 11:13 am

Also center stick, dual throttle, but intent was for co-pilot to be able to fly plane on occasion, and land it in an emergency. Electric flaps, trim lever and toe brakes for left seat only. Plane can be landed in an emergency without any of those, and except for trim, are not needed while in flight, and for that easy to reach across.

David A.
DCASonex

Postby ihab » Tue Aug 19, 2014 10:06 pm

Thank you! I guess I was a center stick fearer; now I might be a convert. (Still sight unseen of course ... I have yet to get my butt into a Sonex to try one out, can you imagine that?) -- Ihab
Ihab Awad, San Jose, CA
ihab

Postby Bryan Cotton » Tue Aug 19, 2014 10:10 pm

If I was building for myself it would probably be center stick. For training it is hard to beat dual sticks. Try them both out. No wrong answer.
Bryan Cotton
Poplar Grove, IL C77
Waiex 191 N191YX
Taildragger, Aerovee, acro ailerons
dual sticks with sport trainer controls
Prebuilt spars and machined angle kit
Year 2 flying and approaching 200 hours December 23
Bryan Cotton

Previous

Return to Off Topic