Woek Benchs

Questions, recommendations, and all things tool related

Woek Benchs

Postby Onex107 » Wed Apr 22, 2020 10:35 am

I posted this several years ago when I was building. I already had a good work bench with drawers and a patternmakers vise. By the way the ones you are making are beautiful and, the top will get torn up eventually and need refurbishing. But for the Onex build I needed temporary work space in my half of a two car garage. I went to the local used/surplus furniture store and found two office desks, like I worked at for 44 years, and bought two for $35 each. They are very heavy, vinyl tops, adjustable legs for leveling, and drawers. I built my main spar by positioning my floor mounted drill press between the two desks and the spar was completely drilled and riveted right there. After the spar the fuselage was built on the two desks and when it was completed and moved to the hangar the wings were done there also. Some of the chip board sheet that the kit shipped on was used to cover the desks so I could drill without damaging the desk tops. And, the best part is I donated the desks right back to the used furniture store for a tax right off. So for $70 bucks I got 14 months of excellent temporary work space.
OneX 107
N2107X
Onex107

Return to Tools