Does a table qualify as a tool?

Questions, recommendations, and all things tool related

Does a table qualify as a tool?

Postby lakespookie » Sun Apr 19, 2020 5:24 am

I think so and this table is in agreement.
Attachments
20200418_200118.jpg
Saturday's Building Live Stream
Jill's Build Log
PPL-ASEL
Tail = Complete
Wings Closed Out = 02/04/2024

Waiex-B 0054
Panel G3X
Engine Spyder 120 corvair conversion
lakespookie

Re: Does a table qualify as a tool?

Postby Area 51% » Sun Apr 19, 2020 8:58 am

Looks like an official EAA workbench to me. I made three. It cost me an extra sheet of plywood, but I made two of the tables with an overhang. They both have a 2in lip across the front, but one has a lip on the left edge, and the other has a lip on the right. That way I can put the tables together end-to-end and have a long table with overhangs on three sides, or put them back-to-back and have a nearly square table with lips on 3 sides. Nothing like having a clamping surface.

Another modification I made was to screw a couple of 2x4s across the bottom frame, and fit the bottom shelf inside the whole table frame to have an edge to keep things from sliding off the shelf during table moves.

These tables are indeed a valuable tool. These things are so strong, I was able to build the spars on them.
Area 51%

Postby WesRagle » Sun Apr 19, 2020 9:02 am

Hi Johnny,

That's a fine looking table. On the second one be sure to leave some overhang on the edge to clamp to.

Edit: Oops, Randy beat me to it.

Wes
Wes Ragle
Onex #89
Conventional Gear
Long Tips
Hummel 2400 w/Zenith Carb
Prince P Tip 54x50
First Flight 06/23/2020
42.8 Hrs. as of 10/30/21
WesRagle

Postby lakespookie » Tue Apr 21, 2020 11:59 am

Thanks for the tip I didn't consider clamping to it but I can see how that could be useful. Unfortunately I am committed at this point to the next one being pretty much a clone of the first since 2/3rd of my wood is already cut. I am planning to modify the plans and use the scrap plywood to make a third 4 foot by 2 foot table. I have about that much space left in the garage with some rearrangement to setup a tool station table and I have the wood from the shipping pallets for the kit and all the tools to make the third table. That will probably happen next week after the dreaded kit inventory begins.
Saturday's Building Live Stream
Jill's Build Log
PPL-ASEL
Tail = Complete
Wings Closed Out = 02/04/2024

Waiex-B 0054
Panel G3X
Engine Spyder 120 corvair conversion
lakespookie

Postby WesRagle » Tue Apr 21, 2020 12:56 pm

Hey Johnny,

lakespookie wrote:Thanks for the tip I didn't consider clamping to it but I can see how that could be useful.

I can only speak from my own experience, but if you don't leave a good edge to clamp to you I think you will regret it about 1000 times during the build. Of course you could just screw a piece of scrap to the table and use that.

Another point, the top of the table will be shredded in short order. Consider something as simple as pilot drilling a hinge. You either have to be very careful or there will be one hole in your table for every inch of hinge. It's nice to be able to easily pull the top off and replace it. Also, particle board is much nicer to drill into.

One more point. The bottom shelf tends to get abused. Oil spills, dust, etc . I find it better to verathane it for easy cleaning.

First table over 20 years ago:

A more recent table:

Best of Luck,

Wes
Wes Ragle
Onex #89
Conventional Gear
Long Tips
Hummel 2400 w/Zenith Carb
Prince P Tip 54x50
First Flight 06/23/2020
42.8 Hrs. as of 10/30/21
WesRagle

Postby Bryan Cotton » Tue Apr 21, 2020 1:39 pm

One feature I always build into tables is wheels. Very handy! Check out the video, skip to 2:30 if it is too boring.

My edges are not great for clamping. I do have a few deep clamps I can use. I have no qualms about using screws to hold things down or drilling into the table in general. I see the table as a consumable item. It is a tool.
Bryan Cotton
Poplar Grove, IL C77
Waiex 191 N191YX
Taildragger, Aerovee, acro ailerons
dual sticks with sport trainer controls
Prebuilt spars and machined angle kit
Year 2 flying and approaching 200 hours December 23
Bryan Cotton

Return to Tools