Cordless Rivet Gun

Questions, recommendations, and all things tool related

Cordless Rivet Gun

Postby boosted0ne » Thu May 10, 2018 6:25 pm

Has anyone purchased and used the new Milwaukee M12 Rivet Gun? I purchased one and have yet to use it for a myriad of reasons but I was curious if anyone else had tried and their results?

A review of the gun can be found here.
boosted0ne

Re: Cordless Rivet Gun

Postby GordonTurner » Fri May 11, 2018 5:34 am

I saw this talked about on VAF but there the price quoted was $175 and when I poked around it looks like $299. Did you find a better price somewhere?
Waiex 158 New York. N88YX registered.
3.0 Liter Corvair built, run, and installed.
Garmin panel, Shorai LiFePo batteries.
GordonTurner

Postby boosted0ne » Fri May 11, 2018 8:40 am

I picked up the bare tool for I want to say $150. The $299 price is for the complete kit (battery, charger, etc). Pretty sure you can get the kit at a lower price as the $299 is MSRP I believe. This is of ofcpurse assuming you already have M12 power tools.

I bought it as it was buying into the Miwaukee "eco-systen" of cordless tools anyways and figured I would give it a try but I am still a little ways off before using it.
Chris Blanco
Sonex 1547
Sonex Plans 1316 for sale
boosted0ne

Postby samiam » Fri May 11, 2018 12:44 pm

At this price point, I'd really consider getting one of these and will be very interested to hear your feedback on it.

The rivet gun is the only air tool that I still use, and I would be thrilled to ditch it for a cordless model. I know airplane builders love their air tools but I have largely found them less practical. If I could ditch the noisy air compressor and hose nonsense every time I want to pull a few rivets, I would be thrilled. It says 250 rivets per charge, which is as many as I ever pull in one sitting.
Mike L
Sonex #1345
Tail complete
Working on wings
samiam

Postby SP1 » Sat May 12, 2018 1:02 am

I've also seen adaptors that fit on drills. Has anyone used those? They also seem to be an inexpensive way to get a cordless riveting capability.
SP1

Postby thomas » Tue May 29, 2018 5:48 pm

boosted0ne wrote:I picked up the bare tool for I want to say $150. The $299 price is for the complete kit (battery, charger, etc). Pretty sure you can get the kit at a lower price as the $299 is MSRP I believe. This is of ofcpurse assuming you already have M12 power tools.

I bought it as it was buying into the Miwaukee "eco-systen" of cordless tools anyways and figured I would give it a try but I am still a little ways off before using it.

Hi Chris,

I'm considering buying a Milwaukee M12 cordless rivet gun off the internet.

I have a couple questions for you or anyone else who has used one of these: Is the pull force adjustable and how consistent is it? Have you tried using it for dimpling and how well does that work compared to an air gun with a low pressure setting?

Thanks,
Paul
thomas

Postby boosted0ne » Wed May 30, 2018 12:58 pm

Paul,

The mechanism used by Milwaukee in their rivet puller is different from most other rivet pullers in that they utilize a Scottish yoke versus the more common ball and screw setup. From what I can tell the only adjustment you could theoretically make would be releasing the trigger once the dimple is set to the depth you want. Upon release the tool returns to the starting position and should release the dimple tool. The problem I see with that is repeatability.

I may give that a try over the next couple days just to see what happens. I have a couple of extra dimpling tools so no loss if destroyed in testing.

Here is the operators manual if you would care to peruse it.

A pretty good review of the tool can be found here.
Chris Blanco
Sonex 1547
boosted0ne

Postby thomas » Wed May 30, 2018 4:37 pm

Thank you, Chris! I agree that consistency may be the challenge on the dimpling. The pneumatic is easy to adjust with the regulator pressure. I look forward to seeing your results if you get to try it out this weekend. Thanks, Paul
thomas

Postby boosted0ne » Tue Jun 05, 2018 3:16 pm

Paul,

I did not have a chance this last weekend. I will have to do it this weekend as I am out of town until Saturday night.

Chris
Chris Blanco
Sonex 1547
boosted0ne

Postby thomas » Wed Jun 06, 2018 4:58 pm

Chris, Don’t you hate it when work gets in the way of our projects? I’m in no rush but I think it will be great to see how well this tool can replicate the flexibility of the pneumatics in dimpling. Thanks, Paul
thomas

Return to Tools