Wire feed welder

Questions, recommendations, and all things tool related

Wire feed welder

Postby Bryan Cotton » Tue Jan 09, 2018 10:20 pm

One of the kids in my troop wants to buy a welder for cheap. Any recommendations on this one?
https://m.harborfreight.com/90-amp-flux ... 61849.html
Bryan Cotton
Poplar Grove, IL C77
Waiex 191 N191YX
Taildragger, Aerovee, acro ailerons
dual sticks with sport trainer controls
Prebuilt spars and machined angle kit
Year 2 flying and approaching 200 hours December 23
Bryan Cotton

Re: Wire feed welder

Postby kmacht » Wed Jan 10, 2018 7:12 am

You generally get what you pay for with welders. What are they planning on welding with it and what is their experience level? The cheap machines are tough to learn on as the feed and arc stability are usually pretty rough. If they just want something to play with it will work but I wouldn't go welding up any safety critical items with it. If you keep an eye out on Craig's list an oxy acetylene set up can sometimes be found under $150 and will be much more useful than that flux core welder.

Keith
kmacht

Postby Bryan Cotton » Wed Jan 10, 2018 8:17 am

Thanks Keith. I found both a Lincoln stick welder and an oxy-acetylene setup on Craigslist for $125 each. Either would be good I think.
Bryan Cotton
Poplar Grove, IL C77
Waiex 191 N191YX
Taildragger, Aerovee, acro ailerons
dual sticks with sport trainer controls
Prebuilt spars and machined angle kit
Year 2 flying and approaching 200 hours December 23
Bryan Cotton

Postby DCASonex » Wed Jan 10, 2018 10:37 am

Bryan,

Others comments on the low cost wire welder are right on the money. If looking for a way for young folks to learn and develop welding skill, an oxygen - acetylene unit is the way to go. A stick welder would be the least valuable, especially for smaller projects. You do need to consider that oxygen and acetylene tanks should be in separate shop, garage or hangar, not in basement of house, and regulators should be recent vintage or certified to meet current safety standards, or both. (Most you will find do comply with this.)

David A.
DCASonex

Postby lgsievila » Wed Jan 10, 2018 2:44 pm

David
A stick welder would be the least valuable, especially for smaller projects.

I have to take exception with your comment based on my welding experience. A good AC/DC stick welder is a very valuable piece of equipment and there are 1/16 inch stick welding rods that can be used on some pretty small projects. Additionally for about $110.00 you can get a TIG(Tungsten Inert Gas) set up(torch and argon regulator) that can be powered by the DC side of the stick machine. A small argon bottle is the only other thing you need and it is inert so very safe. With a 1/16 inch Tungsten and 1/16 inch ER 70 rod you will get a weld that is far superior to an Oxy/Acetylene weld on very thin carbon steel. Additionally you can weld stainless steel with stick welder and TIG set up powered by the DC welder. TIG welding is pretty much the same as Oxy/Acetylene as far as technique.

I did learn Oxy/Acetylene welding about 55 years ago when I first started welding and it does have its place but it is old technology. When you are building an airplane or making a repair to a component, it is my opinion that TIG also known as GTAW is a better way to go. Yes, I know that there are untold numbers of planes out there that were built with the old technology. Teaching young people in the newer technology may have the benefit of providing a career path forward as it is known that there is a shortage of young people entering the "Trades"

Former ASME Certified Welder
Former AWS Certified Welder
Former AWS Certified Weld Inspector
Current Stick,TIG, & Oxy/Acetylene Welder at Home
Loren Sievila
Conventional Gear Onex33
CAMit 2200
Dynon Skyview
lgsievila

Postby DCASonex » Thu Jan 11, 2018 9:19 am

Loren,
We are in agreement on the TIG welding, did not sound like he wanted to go that far and even with low cost add on to stick welder, costs add up. If that is in budget, might be good, but for a novice, to put together a rig from parts as you describe would be best if guided by a pro such as your self.

David A.
DCASonex

Return to Tools