Air Compressor Recall

Questions, recommendations, and all things tool related

Air Compressor Recall

Postby racaldwell » Wed Aug 02, 2017 4:23 pm

Sunday I moved my air compressor a few inches to make space for another fan in my hotbox of a hangar and broke the aluminum casting coming out of my air tank. It had enough meat to it so I drilled and tapped for an 1/8" close nipple. Problem solved. Monday I go online to order that cast part and 1st thing that comes up is a recall on those compressors, issued in 2002. Eleven of them have had tank explosions.

It is an Ingersoll-Rand 3 hp, 30 gal compressor and mine says RAND 4000 on the sticker. I bought it in 1988. IR will give a credit on a new compressor and the old compressor has to be shipped back to them. They pay the freight.

I was lucky that I broke that casting Sunday. The compressor is close to my worktable and right near the wings I just spend a few years working on. It would have been a very bad day if my tank blew up.

Rick
Xenos 0057 slow build
racaldwell

Re: Air Compressor Recall

Postby 9GT » Thu Aug 03, 2017 7:58 am

I had an old air compressor blow up on me back in the 80's. The pressure switch failed along with the safety pressure relief valve. I was in the garage working when it blew. The compressor was located under my workbench and I was VERY fortunate the compressor and motor did not hit me when they departed the tank. The blast blew part of the back wall of the garage out and debris landed 100' away. Neighbors thought it was a gas explosion it was so load. I no longer keep old compressors in service anymore.
David Clifford
Howell & Gladwin, MI
RV-9A: Under Construction (I'm a repeat offender!)
RV-10: Built & Sold: Flying Since 2013 N959RV
Cozy MKIV: Built & Sold: Flying Since 2007 N656TE
9GT

Return to Tools