Phenolic drilling

Questions, recommendations, and all things tool related

Phenolic drilling

Postby Darick » Tue May 10, 2016 9:59 pm

When making the mounting blocks for the aileron and rudder and others, I first used a Dremel end mill and made a flat spot so the drill wouldn't walk, then #40 pilot hole the whole way through.

Next I used a Forstner drill and drilled down only about 1/4 inch. Only going down 1/4" will keep the drill centered later in the drilling sequence. Since the phenolic is very hard I, I wanted to remove as much material as possible for the Forstner drill so I next up drilled the hole in steps to 9/32, which is the largest drill I could use in my drill press, without moving the table down which would lose the center position.

Finally, I completed the hole with the 1" Forstner bit, running dry but using my shop vac to keep it clean to reduce heat build up.

To make a perfect fit for the rudder pedals (and other parts requiring phenolic blocks) I used a 3/4 sanding drum to slightly enlarge the hole, trial fitting frequently to get the perfect fit. It took less than 30 seconds per hole to remove enough material.
Darick Gundy
Sonex #1646
N417DG
Taildragger, Aerovee, center stick, Prince P-Tip Prop
MGL E1, F2, V6 radio, Sandia Xponder, Reserve lift indicator (AOA), iFly 520
First flight! 10/21/2017
Darick

Re: Phenolic drilling

Postby WaiexN143NM » Wed May 11, 2016 11:01 am

Hi all,
What helps in drilling is use lots of water. Keeps dust and stench down.
WaiexN143NM
Michael
WaiexN143NM

Return to Tools