3m wheels

Questions, recommendations, and all things tool related

Off Topic: Straight Cuts

Postby WesRagle » Thu Jun 20, 2019 5:42 pm

Hi Guys,

Well, Summer finally made it to North Central Texas. Today, Heat Index 108°F (42°C). So, I'm goofing off. Forgive me for getting off topic but I wanted to share a technique that most of you are probably familiar with, but one I wish someone had shown me when I first started this hobby.

Making perfect cuts with a laminate cutting knife. I don't have a sheet metal shear and I've never been able to make perfect cuts with a band saw or snips (of any variety). So, I was happy when a fellow builder showed me this trick.

Simply clamp the piece to be cut along the edge of the table with a strong straight edge.

Draw the knife along the straight edge, about 10 to 15 times for .025. Each pass leaves cuttings like this.

Then, gently break the piece off and polish the edge (on a scotch bright belt :-)) for a perfect edge.

A better pic of the tools. Dirt cheap and effective.

Best of Luck,

Wes
Wes Ragle
Onex #89
Conventional Gear
Long Tips
Hummel 2400 w/Zenith Carb
Prince P Tip 54x50
First Flight 06/23/2020
42.8 Hrs. as of 10/30/21
WesRagle

Re: 3m wheels

Postby roberttmoore » Sat Aug 31, 2019 3:16 pm

Regarding the center hole in the 3m wheel being too small for a polisher (like bottom of the harbor Fright that I use secussessfully), I took the wheel to a machine shop and they drill or lathed out the hole to the proper diameter.
roberttmoore

Previous

Return to Tools