Wanting to borrow TIME_SERT kit for Aero-Vee

Questions, recommendations, and all things tool related

Re: Wanting to borrow TIME_SERT kit for Aero-Vee

Postby n502pd » Thu Oct 27, 2016 2:17 pm

Bryan Cotton wrote:I just got my heads back. Question: are there builders out there who don't have timeserts but are happy with their heads? Second question, if I go the timesert route what is the correct p/n? What is the best source-aircooled.net?

Hi Bryan, this is the part number I used...#42125...a 17.5 mm long insert, used on the kit I pruchashed....#4121...as shown on the Timesert catalogue page...http://www.timesert.com/html/sparkplug.html should give you the exact page I am looking at just now.

I did order the long ones on purpose, as I indicated previously, I removed the little excess beyond the plug hole in side of the chamber with a Dremell tool, very carefully so as to not leave any detonation hot spots from pointed marks.

I felt I would go to the manufacturer to get my kit and inserts as they knew most about their product.

Let me know if you decide to borrow my kit.

Joe :D
Joe Nelsen
scratch built :D
Sirpeedee, N502PD, s/n 1510, Aero Vee 2.1 s/n 0870,
ADS-B in (Stratux)/out(SkyBeacon)
Flying @78.2
KGYI/N. Tx Reg/Perrin Field
EAA Technical Counselor, Chapter 323, Sherman, TX
n502pd

Re: Wanting to borrow TIME_SERT kit for Aero-Vee

Postby SonexN76ET » Thu Oct 27, 2016 2:24 pm

Bryan,

I have about a 100 hours on my Aerovee and do not have the Time Serts for the spark plugs. I have replaced and or cleaned my spark plugs every 25 hours and inspected them on a few more occasions.

I did have to get one Time Sert installed for the exhaust header on one cylinder.

If you are careful in installing your spark plugs and using anti-seize paste on the threads and not over torquing them you should be OK as long as you do it on a cold engine. You will need to really take care in the initial insertion of the spark plugs to avoid cross threading them.

I use a very thin socket from my motorcycle's toolkit to install and remove my plugs to avoid any interference or side torque that could cause the plugs to cross thread.

Please take care with the spark plug installation as there is one case of a pilot in Florida last year who did not properly install his spark plugs and one popped out and he lost partial power which contributed to an accident.

If I were to install the time-serts, I would probably let a skilled machine shop do it for me as I did with the exhaust manifold.

Jake
Sonex Tri Gear, Rotax 912 ULS, Sensenich 3 Blade Ground Adjustable Propeller
MGL Velocity EMS, Garmin GTR 200 Comm, GTX 335 ADS B Out Transponder
ILevil AW AHRS & ADS-B In, UAvionix AV20S
200+ hours previously with Aerovee engine
Sarasota, Florida
SonexN76ET

Previous

Return to Tools