Fuel Caddy

Questions, recommendations, and all things tool related

Fuel Caddy

Postby Waiex 49 » Sat Jan 16, 2016 1:14 pm

After a lengthy re-build, am getting ready to put my Waiex back into service.

I will be running the new engine on auto gas and I am looking around for a good "fuel caddy" to transport and store the fuel in my hangar.

I have seen fuel caddy's on the web, ranging from $100 plastic units to very professional $500+ metal units with pumps and filters.

Presently I am looking more at the 15 gallon units as I think the 30 gallon Units would be too heavy to get in and out of my truck when filled.

For those of you who are running your planes on auto fuel, what sort of containers or fuel caddy are you using? I want to get something that works well and is of sufficient quality to hold up being transported from the gas station to the hangar. I don't mind spending some money up front, I just don't want to waste money on a unit that looks good but doesn't work well or last long.

Thanks in advance,

Don Bowen
Waiex N49YX
Waiex 49

Re: Fuel Caddy

Postby GordonTurner » Sat Jan 16, 2016 1:22 pm

Hi Don

I used to run autogas in my C-120. It was cheap and I liked being in control, but at the time I was in serious low-budget mode and used 5 gallon jerry cans. I don't recommend that technique.

But the relevant info is that the airport didn't like it. I couldn't store fuel at the hangar because they would have terminated the lease if I got caught. In that case it turned out to be legal as long as the plane was out doors and the containers were approved. Before you invest make sure you aren't going to get yourself in trouble.

Since you have a truck, would it be easier to have a small tank installed in the bed with a proper pump?

Interested to hear what you come up with.

Gordon
Waiex 158 New York. N88YX registered.
3.0 Liter Corvair built, run, and installed.
Garmin panel, Shorai LiFePo batteries.
GordonTurner

Postby sonex892. » Sat Jan 16, 2016 4:35 pm

I only use plastic Jerry cans. Since I mainly use auto gas I like buy fuel on the way to the airport. That way the the remaining fuel in the tank is freshened up before flight.
Steve
Sonex 892
VH-ZSX 3300 190hr
Steve
Lazair kit 1981 sold
Sonerai 2LS plansbuilt 2003 sold
Sonex kit 2010
Sonerai 2LS project rotax 912
sonex892.

Postby WaiexN143NM » Sat Jan 16, 2016 6:56 pm

Hi Don,
A few things to consider: First check with airport or hangar / lease rules. Can u store fuel in hangar?. Second be careful auto fuel. Flying on a hot day in NorCal? Vapor pressure and vapor lock. Ethanol in fuel? Disaster to o rings seals and fuel probes. My choice would be 3 metal approved 5 gal cans. Weight to lug around etc. approved meaning many airports if u use cans , and u may want to use at the self fuel 100LL pit, requires metal cans for grounding, and a spring loaded latch /lid.
Speaking of 100LL , we are adding TCP to each tank, a lead disperser. Aircraft spruce sells this and also decalin. Jabiriu USA recommends this. Your FBO may sell this too, check the price and save on shipping.
Anyone else using tcp/decalin ?
Fly safe!!

WaiexN143NM
Michael Radtke
WaiexN143NM

Postby fastj22 » Sat Jan 16, 2016 9:41 pm

Jeff Schultz dialed me in these.

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/sum-g8007-4

They hold 5 gallons, you can flip them inverted without spilling and insert the big spout into the neck. They drain in probably a minute.
If you are cheap like me, you can buy them without the quick fill so your second and third can be just regular screw on caps but accept the quick fill from the other.

John Gillis
SEL Private, Comm Glider, Tow pilot (Pawnee Driver)
Waiex N116YX, Jabiru 3300, Tail dragger,
First flight, 3/16/2013. 403 hours and climbing.
Home: CO15. KOSH x 5
Flying a B-Model Conversion (Super Bee Baby!)
fastj22

Postby Waiex 49 » Sat Jan 16, 2016 9:54 pm

There are no restrictions on gas in the hangar.

The Viking engine runs better / cleaner on auto gas than it does on 100 LL. All fuel system components are compatible with auto fuel.

I don't want to use 5 gallon cans as I don't want to be lifting them and holding them over the cowl and windscreen. I don't want to damage my shoulder or the cowling or the windscreen. I want a unit that stands on the concrete and pumps the fuel into the aircraft.

I have been looking at 15, 25, and 30 gallon caddy's with pumps. I want one I can transport from the gas station to my hangar in my truck. I'll probably go with a 15 gallon unit as anything larger gets pretty heavy when filled. My truck has a shell on the back and I'll have to load and unload the caddy at the gas station.

I don't mind paying some money for a caddy, but I don't want to waste my money on a poor quality unit.

I am hoping somebody might make a recommendation.
Last edited by Waiex 49 on Sat Jan 16, 2016 10:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Waiex 49

Postby fastj22 » Sat Jan 16, 2016 10:26 pm

Have you checked West Marine or any chandlery? I know they have fuel caddies for boats.

John Gillis
SEL Private, Comm Glider, Tow pilot (Pawnee Driver)
Waiex N116YX, Jabiru 3300, Tail dragger,
First flight, 3/16/2013. 403 hours and climbing.
Home: CO15. KOSH x 5
Flying a B-Model Conversion (Super Bee Baby!)
fastj22

Postby DCASonex » Sun Jan 17, 2016 10:00 am

Did not see where you mentioned if your MoGas would have ethanol Would hope you are aware of the short storage life of gas with ethanol. The Octane rating of that drops dramatically in a few weeks and it can pick up moisture becoming corrosive If you will be active enough or using ethanol free, have seen tanks with pumps at marine supply stores and have also seen some in Cabela's catalog.

David A.
DCASonex

Postby ldmill » Sun Jan 17, 2016 12:29 pm

I use one similar to this; http://www.amazon.com/ARKSEN-Gallon-Sto ... B00BJS9VZC
30 gallon is small enough that I cycle through it in a month easily. I transport premium auto fuel to the airfield in 5 gallon jugs then transfer into it - usually only getting 5-10 gallons at time to top off. There is a retrofitted 12v electric pump/filter on it now. It's easier for me to control and reduce risk of fuel spill on plane this way. Love the system.
Lorin
Waiex N81YX
ldmill

Return to Tools