drill attachments...

Questions, recommendations, and all things tool related

drill attachments...

Postby pfhoeycfi » Fri Apr 06, 2018 4:26 pm

I'd like to purchase a 90 degree attachment and flex drill bit holder for my cordless hand drill was wondering if anyone had a recommendation...a quick online search yields a ton of junk.
and... are there enough tough spots that I should just go for a right angle cordless or pneumatic drill?

peter
Peter Hoey
SEL Pvt, Comm Glider, CFIG, Pawnee & L19 Towpilot
Philadelphia Glider Council
Sonex B SNB0021, N561PH, Taildragger, Aerovee Turbo, MGL MX1, First flight Dec 18, 2022
Also built Sonerai IIL N86PH
pfhoeycfi

Re: drill attachments...

Postby lgsievila » Fri Apr 06, 2018 5:38 pm

Hi Peter,
I built a Onex so I don't have any experience with a Waiex but I found a right angle drill to be indispensable. A right angle with a regular chuck would not fit in all the places I needed to drill so I bought a good right angle drill that has a 1/4 inch head. Special 1/4 " bits screw into the head and you can purchase any drill sizes you may need. I have an Air Capital Model ACAT-90 so with a 1" long bit I only 2 1/4" clearance to drill a hole and I can drill 5/16 " from a corner because the head is so small. I got mine from the Yard Store and it was definitely worth the investment.
Loren Sievila
Conventional Gear Onex33
CAMit 2200
Dynon Skyview
lgsievila

Postby rdsafe » Sat Apr 07, 2018 12:00 pm

Peter;
Search for "right angle drill" at mcmaster.com and then do a search on "threaded drill bits" and buy at least two of each size and different lengths. And buy a couple of straight drill bits of the sizes you need that are 4" to 6" long and possibly a 1/8" and 3/16" that are 12" long.

Richard
Sonex #1331
rdsafe

Postby Bryan Cotton » Sat Apr 07, 2018 12:32 pm

I think I got mine from aircraft tool supply years ago. Also has a 1/4" threaded bit. It is a key tool.
Bryan Cotton
Poplar Grove, IL C77
Waiex 191 N191YX
Taildragger, Aerovee, acro ailerons
dual sticks with sport trainer controls
Prebuilt spars and machined angle kit
Year 2 flying and approaching 200 hours December 23
Bryan Cotton

Postby DCASonex » Sun Apr 08, 2018 8:36 am

Check out the March 2018 issue of Kit Planes Magazine, Article - Plane and Simple - Drilling in Tight Spaces - on pages 54 and 55. Shows the basics for right angle drills. I originally purchased the one shown with red plastic right angle gear box, but it did not last long, then got the all metal one shown and it is still going strong after at least 4 years and being used for some non aircraft jobs as well. It also fits in tighter spaces than the cheap plastic one. Might think that since objective is to get into small spaces that all you will need is the shortest drill bits, but some places will require the longer threaded bits as well.

David A.
DCASonex

Postby jrs » Sat Jan 16, 2021 6:11 pm

I know that this is an old thread but I stumbled on something that is related and might be of interest. Trying to drill my waiex tail spar attach and its very close quarters. Started lookin for small 90 degree attachment and got one from HomeDepot for $25. Problem is it doesn't have a chuck so went to Menards and bought a lovely 1/4" chuck which takes up to 1/4" bits and cost $6 (on sales for $5). Perfect for the AN3's. Turns out it works really well with a flexible 1/4" extension I bought somewhere back. The chuck said 1" diameter but measures 15/16 so can get in 1/2" space again just what I needed. I like using the chuck with the extension because you can hold the bit in place and it uses all my inventory of bits. Also with the chuck inserted into the angle attachment the depth is 3".
drill attach.jpeg
jrs

Postby pappas » Sat Jan 16, 2021 9:08 pm

I think that this is what most of us have used in our builds.

https://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/ ... oolkit.php
Lou Pappas
Phoenix, AZ
RV-7A (Building)
Waiex B Turbo
RV-8
Waiex Legacy 3300
Hiperlight SNS-9
Falcon Ultralight[/b]
pappas

Return to Tools