Firewall Forward "Rules-of-Thumb"

Firewall Forward "Rules-of-Thumb"

Postby gammaxy » Wed Sep 04, 2013 2:29 pm

What reference do builders refer to when working on the engine compartment?

I don't believe the plans specifically mention how to seal the passenger compartment around the firewall and fuel fill box and under the windshield. I understand most builders use high temperature RTV and have seen some use what appears to be a burn-resistant fabric where the cowling attaches to the upper firewall (I imagine as a seal).

Do most builders find it necessary to seal around the fuel filler neck to prevent vapors or carbon monoxide from entering the cockpit?
Chris Madsen
Aerovee Sonex N256CM
Flying since September 2014
Build log: http://chrismadsen.org
gammaxy

Re: Firewall Forward "Rules-of-Thumb"

Postby EricS » Wed Sep 04, 2013 3:12 pm

I am nearing that same stage and definitely plan on sealing around the filler neck and the other small areas at the corners of the firewall. Like you, I don't want any carbon monoxide entering the cabin...if at all possible. Less chance for smoke to enter as well.

If you install the fabric on the upper firewall former flange just be careful not to build it up too much or your cowling won't meet flush with the windscreen.
Eric Seber
Waiex #153
Jasper, Indiana
http://www.mykitlog.com/EricS/
EricS

Postby falvarez » Wed Sep 04, 2013 3:25 pm

I sealed all my seams and rivet holes (the hole left by the mandrel) with 3M Firebarrier 2000. It only took about and hour and gives me the piece of mind that there are no open holes through the firewall to the cockpit.

I also added the drip pan around the Gas Tank neck that a lot of folks recommend.
Frank Alvarez
Sonex #800, Aerovee 2.1
Scratch Building (working on Cowl)
falvarez

Postby MichaelFarley56 » Wed Sep 04, 2013 7:03 pm

I probably went as simply and quickly as possible by taking all open holes and spots in the firewall and simply using red RTV to seal them up. Quick and seemed to work fine.

I didn't use any sort of a drip pan where the fuel filler neck goes, even though I probably should have. I try to be extra careful when putting fuel in the tank so I don't spill anything, but when I accidently do it evaporates pretty quickly and hasn't been an issue. At least so far...
Mike Farley
Waiex #0056 - N569KM
Jabiru 3300A #1706
MGL Panel
MichaelFarley56

Postby billmaxmcw » Sat Sep 13, 2014 11:53 am

I used JB Weld (with temporary tape when needed to keep it flush) and it is holding up well after 2 years. Blends in better.
Bill
Bill, Oregon
2012 Sonex taildragger (kit)
Aerovee 2.1, Aeroinjector
billmaxmcw

Postby mike.smith » Sat Sep 13, 2014 1:43 pm

falvarez wrote:I sealed all my seams and rivet holes (the hole left by the mandrel) with 3M Firebarrier 2000. It only took about and hour and gives me the piece of mind that there are no open holes through the firewall to the cockpit.

I also added the drip pan around the Gas Tank neck that a lot of folks recommend.

I did the same with the fire seal & drip pan:
http://www.mykitlog.com/users/display_l ... 478&row=21

Mike Smith
Mike Smith
Sonex N439M
Scratch built, AeroVee, Dual stick, Tail dragger
http://www.mykitlog.com/mikesmith
mike.smith

Postby planeolbob » Sun Sep 14, 2014 5:52 pm

planeolbob

Return to Technical Write-Ups and FAQs