Fuel flow test

Fuel flow test

Postby Mike53 » Sun Dec 01, 2019 11:30 pm

I'm about to perform a Fuel flow test on my Onex which uses a 85HP Hummel engine and was hoping someone can confirm my figures

The formula for a Gravity feed system( obtained from EAA webinar on fuel flow test) is HP X BSFC X 1.5 X .36 = ounces per minute

The fuel consumption for the Hummel at full power is approx. 5 gal/hr.or 30 lbs/hr
I obtained the Brake specific fuel consumption from http://www.wallaceracing.com/bsfc-calc.php which was .35

85 X .35 X 1.5 X .36 =16 ounces per minute

So I require a minimum fuel flow of 16 ounces per minute at full throttle in a maximum takeoff climb angle + 5 degrees

Anyone see any problems with the above?

Thanks.
Mike
Mike
I know but one freedom, and that is the freedom of the mind.
Antoine de Saint-Exupery
Reserved C-FONX for the 80th Onex,Hummel 85HP ,Tri gear,GRT Mini X EFIS,and EMS,iFly 740 GPS
Mike53

Re: Fuel flow test

Postby sonex1374 » Mon Dec 02, 2019 12:10 am

Mike,

When using an 80 HP AeroVee you're likely to see full-throttle fuel flow closer to 6.5-7.0 gal/hr. (This also matches the rule of thumb approximation of 0.5 lbs fuel per hr, per horsepower.) If you use this figure, this gives you a target fuel flow for your test of 23 oz/min (or 10 gal/hr).

I have no way to verify the BSFC of a Hummel engine, but 0.35 is a very good number (e.g. a highly efficient engine on par with diesels). It would be more conservative to assume that the engine is actually less efficient, and therefor may require a higher flow rate. For this reason, I'd encourage you to use the higher numbers.

Jeff
Jeff Shultz
Sonex TD, 3300, AeroInjector
Kansas City, MO
http://www.sonex604.com
sonex1374

Postby WesRagle » Mon Dec 02, 2019 12:37 am

Hi Mike,

I agree with Jeff. And I do remember 7 GPH WOT with the Aerovee.

I also installed a 2400 Hummel and just completed my FF test. I was hoping for 10 GPH for the last gallon but was seeing more like 9.5 GPH at 16 deg deck angle. I decided to live with that because, unless you are under propped, you will never see 85 H.P. at max climb angle.

What deck angle did you decide to use?

Wes
Wes Ragle
Onex #89
Conventional Gear
Long Tips
Hummel 2400 w/Zenith Carb
Prince P Tip 54x50
First Flight 06/23/2020
42.8 Hrs. as of 10/30/21
WesRagle

Postby Mike53 » Mon Dec 02, 2019 8:44 am

Thank you both.
I based the Max fuel burn on Scott Casler's response to my question on Max fuel burn and he gave me 5 gal/hr.... 2 gal./hr. higher is a significant amount so I will assume he misunderstood my query since the consensus here is 6.5 to 7 gal/hr
I am waiting for Sonex's response to my question about max deck angle in a takeoff.In Canada at least we have to add 5 degrees to that number when performing the test.
Mike
Mike
Antoine de Saint-Exupery
Reserved C-FONX for the 80th Onex,Hummel 85HP ,Tri gear,GRT Mini X EFIS,and EMS,iFly 740 GPS
Mike53

Postby Sonex1674 » Mon Dec 02, 2019 1:41 pm

Thanks for the discussion - wasn't aware of the EAA webinar entitled: "Fuel System Testing". Unit conversion from 5 gal/hr yields 10.6 oz/min - apply the 1.5 factor of safety for gravity systems yields 16 oz/min; and of course 7/5*16=22.4 oz/min. EAA webinar was very informative.
Sonex1674

Postby WesRagle » Wed Dec 04, 2019 12:33 am

Mike53 wrote:I am waiting for Sonex's response to my question about max deck angle in a takeoff.In Canada at least we have to add 5 degrees to that number when performing the test.
Mike

Hi Mike,

Did you get a response from Sonex LLC? I'm betting that they couldn't provide an answer.

Thanks,

Wes
Wes Ragle
Onex #89
Conventional Gear
Long Tips
Hummel 2400 w/Zenith Carb
Prince P Tip 54x50
First Flight 06/23/2020
42.8 Hrs. as of 10/30/21
WesRagle

Postby Mike53 » Wed Dec 04, 2019 8:27 am

WesRagle wrote:
Mike53 wrote:I am waiting for Sonex's response to my question about max deck angle in a takeoff.In Canada at least we have to add 5 degrees to that number when performing the test.
Mike

Hi Mike,

Did you get a response from Sonex LLC? I'm betting that they couldn't provide an answer.

Thanks,

Wes

This was Kerry's response

Hi Mike.

There is no prescribed angle so if you want to test fuel flow at an angle
you can drop the tail into a ditch.

If your fuel system is per plans fuel flow will far exceed what is needed.

Blue Skies....

Kerry

Sonex Aircraft Tech Support

Any suggestions?
Mike
Antoine de Saint-Exupery
Mike53

Postby Rynoth » Wed Dec 04, 2019 9:03 am

In reviewing some of my in-flight footage, my typical climb deck angle is very close to how the taildragger sits on the ground. If you can get the tailwheel just a little lower and/or the mains a little higher you'd easily be simulating climb pitch.

I went pretty extreme with my test, at an angle WAY beyond what a sustainable climb would be and still came up with plenty of fuel flow. Fuel system was designed per the plans.

http://www.rynoth.com/wordpress/waiex/2 ... stem-test/

With a tri-gear, just weighing the tail down to the ground would probably be more than adequete.

Next time I'm at the hangar I can measure the angle that the taildragger sits on the ground, I think adding 5 degrees to that would be sufficient to meet the Canadian reqs.
Ryan Roth
N197RR - Waiex #197 (Turbo Aerovee Taildragger)
Knoxville, TN (Hangar at KRKW)
My project blog: http://www.rynoth.com/wordpress/waiex/
Time-lapse video of my build: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q8QTd2HoyAM
Rynoth

Postby Mike53 » Wed Dec 04, 2019 9:30 am

Thanks Ryan.
Your picks gave me the idea to simply put the Onex back on the trailer designed for it which should give me more than enough leeway to achieve 20 degrees or so.
I would still appreciate your measuring the deck angle on the ground.
Mike
Mike
Antoine de Saint-Exupery
Mike53

Postby SonexFactoryTech » Wed Dec 04, 2019 10:54 am

WesRagle wrote:
Mike

Hi Mike,

Thanks,

Wes

We are not sure the intent of Wes' comment. But to elaborate, no we cannot provide a precise answer. Too many variables. What is the density altitude? What is the airspeed at rotation? What is your desired climb speed? Are you trying to get over an obstacle? Are you hanging it on the prop and if so, a climb prop or a cruise prop? Have you built the airplane correctly? Have you modified the fuel system?

The Onex fuel system, installed well and as designed, will deliver enough fuel for the prescribed horsepower. It will do that on a vertical climb while performing aerobatics. To design a fuel system for an aerobatic airplane that couldn't is senseless. The fuel flow test is not a test of the design, it is a test of one particular fuel system installation, the one being tested. Each builder must test their own system to their own needs.

Builders lose sight of the handbuilt, one-off, varying degrees of workmanship aspect of the EAB category. There isn't always one answer, one fix for every question or problem. Sometimes a builder has to define their own specification.

Blue Skies....

Sonex Aircraft, LLC
SonexFactoryTech

Next

Return to Technical Write-Ups and FAQs