AeroCarb/AeroInjector Problems that Aren't

AeroCarb/AeroInjector Problems that Aren't

Postby SonexFactoryTech » Tue Aug 27, 2019 4:22 pm

I've watched over the years as the AeroCarb and AeroInjector have been assailed for any number of issues. Frankly, it's been easier to let the threads run their course than to step in with a degree of critical thinking. However, the years of personal experience flying, building, and providing support for these products did inspire my 2-part column in Kitplanes Magazine (Building Time, September and October 2019 issues). Today, an email from a customer, reproduced here, underscores the point of my articles and underscores how narrowly focusing on an individual component will not serve you well while trying to resolve a problem.

Hello
I order you an aerocarb last year and i just start test flight. I have an Vw 2180cc with original small valve and the same camshaft of your aerovee. I have 8:1 CR and 30 degres advance. After a lot of test on ground and in flight i found the needle 1 best for me but to rich from idle to 2000rpm If i want a good mixture at hight rpm.
The needle 2 is to lean at idle and it don¹t want to run under 1200rpm. If i rich it with the needle, he is very rich from 1300 to 2800. I have 3100rpm on static and i have limited the travel of throthle stick
Thank a lot to help me.

It's hard to make sense of your issue as the #1 needle is designed to be more lean over-all than the #2. That means the #2 needle should be even more rich at idle than the #1 needle.

Have you checked your entire intake for leaks?

Are you running a fuel pump? If so, make sure you have it set at about 1.5 psi.

There are many questions we can't help with as we do not know your engine, fuel system, or the state of tuning of your engine. Very often carburetor "problems" are actually other problems (ignition, vacuum leaks, fuel delivery, etc)

If you are convinced the problem is with the AeroCarb, you may need to modify the shape of a needle so it is lean enough at idle and rich enough at full throttle.

-Sonex Aircraft

Hi
I dit a leak test last week and I have a crack on my manifold...
I rebuild an Carbon one and the engine work verry well now !
Tanks a lot for your answer !
I can return flying !
Best Regards

Moral to the story? No carburetor can fix what it can't break.

Be wary of one-size-fits-all "fixes" suggested by anyone who doesn't first ask you additional questions about your installation.

Blue Skies....

Kerry Fores
Sonex Aircraft, LLC
SonexFactoryTech

Return to Technical Write-Ups and FAQs