New Canopy Strap

Canopy Strap failure

Postby aferddaberts » Tue Jun 16, 2015 7:48 pm

Having just read the story of the guys canopy departing his aircraft in flight, and others talking about frayed cables and straps, makes me think, when it comes to that time in my build, to figure out a way to have redundancy, maybe not something new, but maybe just two straps/cables.

AL Roberts
aferddaberts

Re: New Canopy Strap

Postby Bryan Cotton » Tue Jun 16, 2015 8:55 pm

Al,
I am thinking that if you ever get to the point where the straps are holding the canopy in flight, you want it to tear loose and depart the aircraft. For one reason, you may be bailing out. On the other hand, if the latch fails, having an open canopy still attached has to be a lot more drag than an open canopy which has departed.
Bryan Cotton
Poplar Grove, IL C77
Waiex 191 N191YX
Taildragger, Aerovee, acro ailerons
dual sticks with sport trainer controls
Prebuilt spars and machined angle kit
Year 2 flying and approaching 200 hours December 23
Bryan Cotton

Postby nwawingman » Tue Jun 16, 2015 9:12 pm

Kip,

I like your idea for improving the strap. My original one is always kinked up and I do worry about it just breaking off with just the right wind gust. Thad would be a bad day for sure. This would make a nice addition to the annual I am performing.

Thanks!
Rick Wantz - Arkansas
Sonex 367 T/W AeroVee/Aeroinjector - Prince Elliptical Prop <361hrs
1st Flight 7/13 KOSHX3 Young EaglesX14
http://www.mykitlog.com/wingman
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC2TNLK ... A63FvnPkNA
nwawingman

Postby aferddaberts » Wed Jun 17, 2015 10:53 pm

I agree with you, Bryan, 100 percent regarding the canopy coming loose and departing the aircraft or being held by a strap and flapping in the airstream which would probably cause some severe control problem not to mention the damage to the airplane. My thought of having a back up strap was to keep the canopy from coming loose in the first place. I'll have to wait until I get to that place in my build before I give it any more thought.

AL
aferddaberts

Postby aferddaberts » Wed Jun 17, 2015 11:01 pm

By the way Bryan, I have lost your email address. I sent you a message the other day, with a photo attached, however I sent it to the address I have on file.

AL
aferddaberts

Postby avee8r » Thu Jun 18, 2015 8:45 am

Or an even lighter option is to use the checklist and insure the canopy is closed, latched, and pinned before each takeoff.
Happy Landings
John
N50NX
avee8r

Previous

Return to Technical Write-Ups and FAQs