Oil Filters

Oil Filters

Postby thomasjones42 » Fri Jan 04, 2019 10:51 am

Saw this on another forum and thought other builders might be interested:

[quote]Interesting Stuff on Engine Oil Filters

- thanks to THE Bear -

This is one I had not seen before. I used to go out of my way to buy Fram.....not after this.

https://youtu.be/iTNJLEV8CG8 [quote]

thomasjones42
Onex trigear turbo
thomasjones42

Re: Oil Filters

Postby sonex1374 » Sat Jan 05, 2019 12:18 am

Tom,

I have tested and cut open more than 10 oil filters for my Jabiru engine, and I found that the really cheap Fram and similar filters are indeed really cheap. The particular model I used looked a bit different than the video, but similar enough in spirit. However, any of the upper-tier filters, and certainly all the premium filters, were "good" inside. They had well made internal construction, showing no signs of cheap assembly prone to fail. The premium filters (Royal Purple, Mobile 1, and my personal favorite Fram Ultra Synthetic XG4967 for the Jabiru) have a thicker outer case that can resist higher burst pressures, and a thicker filter media, often made of two different materials. The premium filters are usually good for 5-10k miles in cars, and look great at 25 hrs when I cut them open.

Cheap filters cost about $5 each, mid line filters about $7-10, and premium $15-20, with the exception of the Fram XG's, which run about $10 and you can get them at Walmart wich is super convenient.

My advice is to try a few out, and certainly the XG's. A few extra dollars per oil change is worth the added performance.

Jeff
Jeff Shultz
Sonex TD, 3300, AeroInjector
Kansas City, MO
http://www.sonex604.com
sonex1374

Re: Oil Filters

Postby DCASonex » Sat Jan 05, 2019 10:00 am

Just a cautionary note. The K&N filters with the hex spot welded to the back end look to be ideal, good flow, and nice heavy case, BUT have had two of those fracture at the spot welds one resulting in total oil loss on my 3300. Later found I was not the first to find this problem. The Jabiru and CAMit engines use a PRV design that pulsates like a hydraulic jack hammer and requires a very secure filter design. Bob P. and others have been developing a better option, I was involved with that but just too busy with move the last year. Hope to get back to it by this Spring.

David A.
DCASonex

Return to Technical Write-Ups and FAQs