Aerocarb/Aeroinjector discussions

Re: Aerocarb/Aeroinjector discussions

Postby daleandee » Sun Nov 17, 2013 2:59 pm

Last edited by daleandee on Wed Sep 30, 2015 12:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
daleandee

Postby MichaelFarley56 » Sun Nov 17, 2013 3:47 pm

You're not poking the bear at all Dale, unless that's a fat joke aimed at me!! :).

I'm not arguing with anyone about the simple nature of the AeroInjector. In some cases, it would be nice to have some more adjustability than one big needle valve. It's sort of like trying to do surgery with a fire ax sometimes!

Maybe the Rotec is a better product, but I'm still curious how people make it work. Personally, I've never talked to anyone with one so I really can't comment.

Believe me, if it's a better product I'd be interested!!
Mike Farley
Waiex #0056 - N569KM
Jabiru 3300A #1706
MGL Panel
MichaelFarley56

Aerocarb/Aeroinjector discussions

Postby Sonerai13 » Sun Nov 17, 2013 7:10 pm

I don't remember any "stumble" on my departure from Crossville. I have no idea what you're talking about. The Waiex never missed a beat on the whole trip! In fact, it has run like a champ since the current engine was installed last winter. If anyone heard a "stumble" when I left Crossville, they heard something I didn't feel or hear!!

Joe
"Fortes Fortuna Adiuvat"
Joe Norris
Sonex N208GD (S/N 450)
Sonerai II N13NN (S/N 1206)
Fortes Fortuna Adiuvat
Sonerai13

Postby MichaelFarley56 » Sun Nov 17, 2013 8:35 pm

daleandee wrote:
Here I go poking a bear with a stick but I must say that if the factory can't get the Aerocarb dialed in then it must be tough to do. I refer to Joe Norris leaving the ASA fly-in in Crossville this year. There were a number of us that heard the factory Waiex stumble on climb-out and turned to watch the rest of his climb-out that went without further concerns. Made me very uneasy to see and hear it.

Interesting. I left on Saturday afternoon so I missed the factory Waiex departure. I do know that, on my Waiex, I had an engine stumble happen all too often upon power application to start the takeoff roll. I tried tons of things, but I always seemed to get an engine stumble as I throttled through around 2500 rpm on takeoff. I would reduce power, then add it back in and everything was fine.

Turns out it wasn't my AeroInjector; rather, I had (what I've been told) an older style MGL fuel flow sensor that was causing my issues. The thing was never that accurate anyway, and after talking things over with the factory I removed it from my system. Haven't had a single issue ever since! I still wish I had a reliable fuel flow sensor, but it's not worth it to have a stumbling engine!! :)
Mike Farley
Waiex #0056 - N569KM
Jabiru 3300A #1706
MGL Panel
MichaelFarley56

Postby daleandee » Mon Nov 18, 2013 1:24 am

Last edited by daleandee on Wed Sep 30, 2015 12:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
daleandee

Postby Onex107 » Tue Feb 24, 2015 12:42 pm

Been there, done that. The "burps" are caused by vapor bubbles in the fuel line going into the AeroInjector. The bubbles are caused by heat, both ambient and radiated. Basic information. The cure is not to give the bubbles a place to vent but to reduce the temp of the fuel. In the Onex, the ambient air temp was reduced by an increase in the cowling exit opening, an engineering change, and the radient heat from the exhaust pipes was reduced by wrapping the pipes with fiberglass tape designed for that purpose, and insulating the gascolator and fuel lines with a foam insulation available at your local hardware supplier. Accomodating the bubbles with a vent is just waiting for the problem to get bigger. When the vapor becomes 100% of the fuel line you are out of gas. My problem started after flying for a while and with the engine compartment heat soaked, when I landed and went to idle the burp would kill the engine. As the weather got hotter it began to happen sooner in flight and was absolutley scary. The engine would die every five seconds. At wot it would catch and continue to run but the nearest airport was not close enough. Do the deed and insulate. Be cool.
OneX 107
N2107X
Onex107

Postby fastj22 » Tue Feb 24, 2015 9:35 pm

Here's my story with the Aeroinjector.
I installed it to factory settings and it worked fine during ground testing.
After a few flights, I started tweaking it, thinking I needed a leaner needle for our altitude. I installed it backwards. For two weeks, I couldn't it to run right. Another Sonex (Hi Gary!) guy told me to go back to the original settings and re-read the manual, I disassembled and found my error.
For the next 100 hours engine ran great but decided I needed to tweak it to do some low land XCs. That screwed things up again.
I've been slowing getting it back in the groove. The biggest complaint I have is having to pull the carb to adjust the needle. I wish it could be adjusted simply without pulling the cowl, pulling the air filter, pulling the carb off the intake, taking out that pesky set screw, adjusting the needle, then reassembling.

John Gillis
SEL Private, Comm Glider, Tow pilot (Pawnee Driver)
Waiex N116YX, Jabiru 3300, Tail dragger,
First flight, 3/16/2013. 403 hours and climbing.
Home: CO15. KOSH x 5
Flying a B-Model Conversion (Super Bee Baby!)
fastj22

Postby GWMotley » Tue Feb 24, 2015 10:01 pm

Hi again guys, I recently posted about the new bushing in the Aeroinjector and was somewhat surprised no one made any comments. As many of you know, I get around. I have flown on cross country trips for thousands of miles on a vw engine and this carb. I finally had real troubles tuning after my last engine rebuild. Finally I came to the conclusion I just wore the carb out. So, if you have troubles ( Hi John) always go back to the beginning, follow the manual. However, you may frequently find the problem is not with your ability to fix things, things made just really be broken!
Gary Motley
Sonex 1155
Great Plains Force One/Aerovee Hybridized
MGL/ipad panel
First Flight 08/2011
About 670 hours on this plane
GWMotley

Postby JimZ » Tue Feb 24, 2015 10:31 pm

Hi all,

I have never posted anything here before but I thought I'd share my story about tuning my areoinjector.

I personally have found it easy to tune and very trouble free if you follow the factory manual.I have 80 hrs on my aircraft now and I have been very happy with the performance.
I am running a #2 needle about 1/2 turn lean,in fall it gets a 1/8 turn rich and back in during the summer.
The largest problem I found was the "burps". I solved the problem by removing the gascolator and running the fuel line directly to the carb. That was 70 hrs ago and no burps since.
Jim Zuege
Sonex 473JZ, Aerovee
KMTW
JimZ

Postby SvingenB » Wed Feb 25, 2015 4:04 am

I don't understand this adjusting between winter and summer. Why can't you do this with the mixture lever?
Reserved LN-ENX for Onex #134
Onex build log
SvingenB

Previous

Return to Technical Write-Ups and FAQs