Sonex Fuel Tank & Oops Fittings

Have you spun the fittings in your Sonex (roto-molded) fuel tank?

Yes, and I repaired it with an Oops fitting
33%
Yes, and I repaired/sealed it with a different method
23%
No, I am still using the original fittings
43%

Total votes : 30

Re: Sonex Fuel Tank & Oops Fittings

Postby BRS » Sat Nov 04, 2023 11:09 pm

Moving at a snails pace. Yesterday, Davids tool showed up. Today I spent a small amount of time trying to get the tool in place but to no avail. Seems this flange may be slightly tapered making it hard to get the tool lined up. That flange that is maybe 3/4" or more deep (see pic). I'm thinking I'll have to get a knife and remove part of this before I can get the sanding tool in place. Is this flange common? I'll try again to attack it on Monday.
Attachments
OOPS-after hole saw drilling.jpg
-Brock
Sonex-A (s/n 1013)
R2300, P-tip 54/50
Center Stick
V16, TT22
BRS

Postby DCASonex » Mon Nov 06, 2023 9:31 am

It does look to have a significant tilt to it, as mentioned before, rotational molded tanks are like snow flakes, no two are alike. Can you post or email a photo with the toll partly in place to get a better idea of the extent of the problem ?

David A.
DCASonex

Postby BRS » Mon Nov 06, 2023 10:19 pm

Not at an angle. It's the wide angle lens on my phone.
Question: Was I supposed to use an Xacto knife and remove as much as that flange before using the sanding tool? I was thinking/tried to use the tool to remove the flange.

Later I found a small dremel circular saw and cut about 1/2" off then managed to get the tool in place. So far it doesn't seem to be removing any plastic. I'll attack it again tomorrow. Something I didn't read but figured out was that after using the tool it would be handy to still have the wire avialable to remove the tool. My solution, remove the two washers (pictured) and carefully slide the wire into the end of the tool and let the tool rotate around the wire.
Attachments
2023-11-06-16-18-47-948-01.jpg
-Brock
Sonex-A (s/n 1013)
R2300, P-tip 54/50
Center Stick
V16, TT22
BRS

Postby DCASonex » Tue Nov 07, 2023 11:51 am

Thanks for the photo. I would remove your fuel level sensor just to make sure it does not get damaged.

Usual method I used to remove the tool was to feed the wire into the tool and back up toward inlet opening.

Key to removing material with that tool is relatively high pressure and very slow speed . Need to cut the plastic not melt it. It is not fast but all you need to do is make a flat surface, parallel to the outside surface, for the O ring to seal on. Make sure the grit is not clogged. If you need more grit, that open weave material is it is the stuff used for sanding drywall joints it seems to resist clogging, but other coarse sandpapers will also work..

David A.
DCASonex

Postby BRS » Tue Nov 07, 2023 2:57 pm

DCASonex wrote:Thanks for the photo. I would remove your fuel level sensor just to make sure it does not get damaged....

David A.

Ha, I told myself that (remove sensor) several times. Yet the thought of disturbing the insert and having to install another OOPs fitting kept me from doing that. Yesterday after taking the above picture I couldn't remove the tool as the fuel-level-sensor was in the way. Scratching my head as to how I got the tool in place and removed before one already without an issue.

As they say... Good judgement comes from bad judgement. ;-)
-Brock
Sonex-A (s/n 1013)
R2300, P-tip 54/50
Center Stick
V16, TT22
BRS

Postby DCASonex » Wed Nov 08, 2023 9:31 am

What concerned me about the fuel level sensor was that you mentioned leaving the wire threaded through the tool while using it, if the wire should snag on the tool or the drill chuck holding it, it would thrash about and very likely damage that sensor.

Re-reading the previous post of yours, it might not have been clear that you do not need to remove the mound of plastic that used to surround the molded in fitting, just flatten the inside surface enough to give the O-ring a surface to seal on. If the oops fitting is not long enough to put on a fiber washer and thread the nut the on outside, then you will have to grind it down a bit.

David A.
DCASonex

Postby BRS » Wed Nov 08, 2023 11:59 am

DCASonex wrote:...
Re-reading the previous post of yours, it might not have been clear that you do not need to remove the mound of plastic that used to surround the molded in fitting, just flatten the inside surface enough to give the O-ring a surface to seal on. If the oops fitting is not long enough to put on a fiber washer and thread the nut the on outside, then you will have to grind it down a bit.
David A.

David! Oh wow that is huge information. Yes, I had understood that I needed to sand the "mound" down to a smooth tank wall. Sanding/grinding has been going frustratingly slow but you are saying I've likely done plenty of that. Now I just hope I have the 'mound' true to the outside wall. That 'mound' neck is about " fro1/2" fromm the outer wall at the moment.
-Brock
Sonex-A (s/n 1013)
R2300, P-tip 54/50
Center Stick
V16, TT22
BRS

Postby BRS » Tue Nov 14, 2023 11:27 pm

The OOPS saga continues but I feel there is light at the end of the tunnel. I purchased an endoscope with a loooong flexible shaft. It enabled me to look into the tank from the outside while I was upside down under the pannel. So hopefully these pictures will be of some use to someone else. They would have helped me.

As you can see I ended up removing more material than needed. Tomorrow I'll try to install the OOPS fitting and check for leaks.
Q. How tight have you folks been turning down the nut? Are the O-rings visibly flat?
Q. How smooth does that neck need to be. I want to polish it but can't.
Attachments
PHO00004.JPG
The first thing I saw with the camera was this sandy looking junk. Got it with a small hose on the vaccuum.
OOPS.jpg
This is the first thing I did. Not knowing that the entire neck did not need to come off
PHO00000.JPG
This is how it looks right now. Tomorrow the OOPS fitting goes in. Does it need to be smoother?
PHO00001.JPG
Trial fit. Didn't know about the stray plastic until I got the camera
PHO00002.JPG
I'm still scratching my head as to how I got around the fuel probe (More than once).
-Brock
Sonex-A (s/n 1013)
R2300, P-tip 54/50
Center Stick
V16, TT22
BRS

Postby Bryan Cotton » Wed Nov 15, 2023 10:27 am

Not sure how tight I made the fitting. I did leak check it though. Made an adapter to put a tire valve stem on one fitting. On another fitting I secured a balloon to it for use as an indicator and a fuse. Pictures on my Photo Album thread probably towards the middle.
Bryan Cotton
Poplar Grove, IL C77
Waiex 191 N191YX
Taildragger, Aerovee, acro ailerons
dual sticks with sport trainer controls
Prebuilt spars and machined angle kit
Year 2 flying and approaching 200 hours December 23
Bryan Cotton

Postby tps8903 » Sun Nov 19, 2023 4:24 pm

How many and which oops fitting do I require to replace them all?

I have a weeping leak out of the main fitting, not enough to ever Drip, but the blue dye is obviously on the outside of the tank.

I figure if I'm taking the tank out I'm going to replace them all.
Chris Morris
Sonex N998PC - SOLD!
Sonex #1732 - Aerovee Turbo
Central Florida
tps8903

PreviousNext

Return to Technical Write-Ups and FAQs