The big AeroCarb/AeroInjector thread

How do you feel about your AeroCarb/AeroInjector

I love my AeroCarb/AeroInjector.
36%
I like my AeroCarb/AeroInjector but it took a bit of time and effort setting it up.
20%
I like my AeroCarb/AeroInjector now but it took too much time and effort to set it up.
8%
I neither like nor dislike my AeroCarb/AeroInjector, it does what it needs to and I am too busy flying to be bothered with this age old topic.
4%
I don't like my AeroCarb/AeroInjector but I trust it and will keep flying behind it for now.
4%
I don't like/trust my AeroCarb/AeroInjector and I am desperately trying to get it to run better.
6%
I hate my AeroCarb/AeroInjector and will replace it with something else (or have already done so).
22%

Total votes : 50

Re: The big AeroCarb/AeroInjector thread

Postby fastj22 » Tue Sep 15, 2015 8:55 pm

I have a love/hate with the Aerocarb. I have nearly 200 hours on it. I love the simplicity.
When its dialed in, I love it. It simply works.
But its very temperamental. A small adjustment can make it horrendous.
For me its just too sensitive to season and altitude. My home airport is at 6100 ft. I can tune it for the here and its fine. I fly down to Texas and it runs too lean. By fall, it needs another tweek and if you over adjust, its just wrong. Adjusting the needle is a PITA.

I also think that I'm not getting good atomization of the fuel. On WOT at take off, #6 goes lean and stays lean until I pull back throttle. Then EGT temps even out. #6 is closest to the carb.

Burps....got em. Installed a burp tube and it helped a lot. But on really hot days, I still burp, especially using MoGAs.

So I bought a Rotec TBI at OSH this year. Just received it and am planning my install. I'll be installing the old mech fuel pump on my Jab and an electric boost pump with a return to the tank. I hope this solves any burp by circulating fuel through the system during taxi. The regulator on the TBI should handle any fuel pressure increase.
I'll also be installing a air straightener and air box with carb heat and cold air intake. I think the aerocarb could benefit from this too.

John Gillis
SEL Private, Comm Glider, Tow pilot (Pawnee Driver)
Waiex N116YX, Jabiru 3300, Tail dragger,
First flight, 3/16/2013. 403 hours and climbing.
Home: CO15. KOSH x 5
Flying a B-Model Conversion (Super Bee Baby!)
fastj22

Postby SonexEZ » Mon Jan 18, 2016 7:33 pm

I want a different air filter what dose everyone else use, engine had the K&L but i just did a top overhaul cause i didnt like what i saw in the cylinders , is dirt causing the lines that i saw in the cylinders due to dirt ? I am not sure but the engine only had 145 hrs on it so i would like to try and not have this problem again any thoughts on airfilters please get back to me Sonex is going to airport on Febuary 1 st engine has 1.5 hrs now
SonexEZ

Postby fastj22 » Mon Jan 18, 2016 9:31 pm

Do you fly off a dirt/grass strip?
You shouldn't be getting much dirt to the filter taxiing on asphalt and especially flying.
The K&N should be more than sufficient.

John Gillis
SEL Private, Comm Glider, Tow pilot (Pawnee Driver)
Waiex N116YX, Jabiru 3300, Tail dragger,
First flight, 3/16/2013. 403 hours and climbing.
Home: CO15. KOSH x 5
Flying a B-Model Conversion (Super Bee Baby!)
fastj22

Postby mike.smith » Mon Jan 18, 2016 11:45 pm

The K&N is a cleanable filter, so you have to put the red oil media back on the filter material after cleaning. I'm sure you know that but it never hurts to state the obvious :-) I have the K&N and have never seen any evidence of dirt getting to the engine. There is far more carbon and lead in the cylinders from the fuel, than you could ever get from outside contaminates (unless maybe if you operate off dirt strips).
Mike Smith
Sonex N439M
Scratch built, AeroVee, Dual stick, Tail dragger
http://www.mykitlog.com/mikesmith
mike.smith

Postby DCASonex » Tue Jan 19, 2016 11:44 am

If by chance you are seeing black crud inside air filter, check your valves. Bad design or pairing of incompatible components caused hydraulic lifters to over pump in my old Jabiru which kept valves open too long, blowing exhaust crud all the way back through intake system, carb, and into the inside of the filter. Jabiru's failure to address that (engine was still under warranty) is why I am now happily flying behind a CAE 3300.

David A. Sonex TD, CAE 3300
DCASonex

Postby SonexN76ET » Tue Jan 19, 2016 4:15 pm

For the Aerovee with an AeroInjector, an alternative air filter is the K&N E3221. It had a bigger diameter than the stock air filter but is just as narrow. If you have the Sonex air filter mount you will need to make a cover for the filter to allow for the wider diameter. You will get much better air flow.

Jake
Sonex Tri Gear, Rotax 912 ULS, Sensenich 3 Blade Ground Adjustable Propeller
MGL Velocity EMS, Garmin GTR 200 Comm, GTX 335 ADS B Out Transponder
ILevil AW AHRS & ADS-B In, UAvionix AV20S
200+ hours previously with Aerovee engine
Sarasota, Florida
SonexN76ET

Postby rizzz » Mon Apr 25, 2016 8:04 pm

My 50h engine service is coming up soon so among other things I will need to replace the AeroInjector air filter element.
Sonex sells these for under $10 but I'll probably get screwed on postage again so for the Aussie builders out there, anybody know of a local source to get one of these?

Thanks,
Michael
Michael
Sonex #145 from scratch (mostly)
Taildragger, 2.4L VW engine, AeroInjector, Prince 54x48 P-Tip
VH-MND, CofA issued 2nd of November 2015
First flight 7th of November 2015
Phase I Completed, 11th of February 2016
http://www.mykitlog.com/rizzz/
rizzz

Postby kmacht » Mon Apr 25, 2016 9:08 pm

The local autoparts store here in the states carries the filter. They had it in the lawnmower maintenance section. I think it was advertised as a 4" generic filter. May want to check your auto store to see if they have something similar.

Keith
kmacht

Postby Brett » Mon Apr 25, 2016 9:38 pm

Same. I bought one recently from auto 1 cor about $10. Standard 4 inch filter.
Sonex 1645
VH-VWS
Tailwheel
Former Aerovee Turbo
Rotax 912
Brett

Postby fjdoug » Tue Apr 26, 2016 6:01 pm

rizzz wrote:My 50h engine service is coming up soon so among other things I will need to replace the AeroInjector air filter element.
Sonex sells these for under $10 but I'll probably get screwed on postage again so for the Aussie builders out there, anybody know of a local source to get one of these?

Thanks,
Michael

hi Michael,
i have not bought one here but a quick search found this, looks similar:

http://www.kustoms.com.au/osc/product_i ... f49cd6ed82

Doug.
fjdoug

PreviousNext

Return to Technical Write-Ups and FAQs