The big AeroCarb/AeroInjector thread

How do you feel about your AeroCarb/AeroInjector

I love my AeroCarb/AeroInjector.
36%
I like my AeroCarb/AeroInjector but it took a bit of time and effort setting it up.
20%
I like my AeroCarb/AeroInjector now but it took too much time and effort to set it up.
8%
I neither like nor dislike my AeroCarb/AeroInjector, it does what it needs to and I am too busy flying to be bothered with this age old topic.
4%
I don't like my AeroCarb/AeroInjector but I trust it and will keep flying behind it for now.
4%
I don't like/trust my AeroCarb/AeroInjector and I am desperately trying to get it to run better.
6%
I hate my AeroCarb/AeroInjector and will replace it with something else (or have already done so).
22%

Total votes : 50

Re: The big AeroCarb/AeroInjector thread

Postby Onex107 » Mon Sep 19, 2022 11:32 am

I ended up using the #3. The two hot spots, idle and wot, must be within the slide travel to avoid having to correct with mixture at idle after adjusting for wot. The controlling measurement is thickness ( in the orifice opening ). I found that approx. .083 is the wot thickness, and depending on the angle, which you can calculate, the idle sweet spot ends up wherever the distance between the two puts it. I made seven needles out of .125 drill rod and #7 ended up measuring almost identical to #3. I had a contact from a Onex in Florida who suggested the #3.
The steeper angle of the #3 does not mean it's richer, it only means the two sweet spots are closer together and can both be located within the slide opening. I had my needle set for wot with the mixture about half way out. That left me able to go richer or leaner from that setting. Richer for temp. reduction on climb out and leaner at cruise for fuel economy. I did not have to touch the mixture after landing for a 900 rpm idle and did not reset it until the next takeoff. With the #3 the idle spot ends up a little too close to the wot spot and I had to reset the slide travel for idle. It was trying to idle at 700 and didn't like it.
I had the needle adjusted 2 1/2 to 3 turns in from the starting line for the Aerovee. There must not be any play in the ball end of the needle holder. Mine had nearly a half turn of play. Using a marker pen is not accurate enough, I marked the bottom of the needle with a file mark. Nice and shiny, easy to see with a mirror, and an accurate starting point. 300 fun hours without a problem.
OneX 107
N2107X
Onex107

Postby rizzz » Sat Jun 24, 2023 2:32 am

Does anyone know what the size/thread of the idle screw on the AeroInjector is?
I seem to have stripped mine and I can't find anything like it in my arsenal.
Michael
Sonex #145 from scratch (mostly)
Taildragger, 2.4L VW engine, AeroInjector, Prince 54x48 P-Tip
VH-MND, CofA issued 2nd of November 2015
First flight 7th of November 2015
Phase I Completed, 11th of February 2016
http://www.mykitlog.com/rizzz/
rizzz

Postby Area 51% » Sat Jun 24, 2023 11:17 am

8-32
Area 51%