Primer

Discuss painting, polishing, or painting vs polishing.

Primer

Postby Sonex1517 » Mon Jan 20, 2014 10:05 pm

Discussing religion, politics, sex, wheel landings, and whether to prime in polite company is not advised.....

Robbie

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
Robbie Culver
Sonex 1517
Aero Estates (T25)
First flight 10/10/2015
325+ hours
Jabiru 3300 Gen 4
Prince P Tip
Taildragger
N1517S
Sonex1517

Re: Primer

Postby daleandee » Mon Jan 20, 2014 10:14 pm

If corrosion is the concern there is another option that has not yet been discussed:

http://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/cspages/acf50.php

Quite a fantastic product. I will warn those that polish though, when you use ACF-50 it will creep out of every crack and crevice for a few days after application. I used this on my last Sonex by ordering the aerosol cans and applying it as I put it together. It can be sprayed or fogged into the air frame. Needs to be applied every two years (preferably at annual) and has very minimal weight.

FWIW,

Dale
N319WF
daleandee

Postby Rynoth » Tue Jan 21, 2014 12:17 am

I am not priming my build... except for the fact that I did prime my wing spars with inexpensive rustoleum aluminum primer (not etching.) Doing so on the spars was more of an experiment/why the heck not sort of move. I'm still not convinced it's remotely necessary.

As far as resale goes... as many builders that (it seems to me) prime their aircraft, I'm sure the expectation of buyers is tenfold that priming is necessary. So I imagine there is a resale benefit to doing so.
Ryan Roth
N197RR - Waiex #197 (Turbo Aerovee Taildragger)
Knoxville, TN (Hangar at KRKW)
My project blog: http://www.rynoth.com/wordpress/waiex/
Time-lapse video of my build: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q8QTd2HoyAM
Rynoth

Postby rizzz » Tue Jan 21, 2014 12:52 am

Rynoth wrote:As far as resale goes... as many builders that (it seems to me) prime their aircraft, I'm sure the expectation of buyers is tenfold that priming is necessary. So I imagine there is a resale benefit to doing so.

LOL, I guess in that sense it's like a self-fulfilling prophecy.
Michael
Sonex #145 from scratch (mostly)
Taildragger, 2.4L VW engine, AeroInjector, Prince 54x48 P-Tip
VH-MND, CofA issued 2nd of November 2015
First flight 7th of November 2015
Phase I Completed, 11th of February 2016
http://www.mykitlog.com/rizzz/
rizzz

Postby sonex892 » Tue Jan 21, 2014 3:49 am

I primed the internals of my sonex, yes its a bit more work, yes it adds a bit of weight and yes, it may be overkill. I did it for me no one else.

At the time I built it I lived quite a long way from the coast so there was no real need to prime. 18 months ago I found myself relocating for work. The plane and I are now near the coast, real near. I am glad that I primed the internals but now wished I used duralac on all rivets.

I say each to their own. If you want to prime go ahead if you don't then don't. Simple as that.

The stuff that Dale mentioned sounds like the same stuff they use each annual here on a C182 seaplane.
sonex892

Postby jmattson » Tue Jan 21, 2014 11:59 am

Thanks everyone for the info and advice. I think I'll just stick to the rattle can, it really can't hurt anything-even if in the long run it doesn't help. Like was mentioned earlier, if I ever go to sell I'll have the novelty of saying "Yea, it's been primed".
Josh Mattson
Sonex #555
Springfield, Il.
jmattson

Previous

Return to Finish methods