How much Nuvite to buy?

Discuss painting, polishing, or painting vs polishing.

How much Nuvite to buy?

Postby Bryan Cotton » Fri Feb 14, 2014 11:00 pm

Sorry if this is a repeat question - I looked but could not find. I am running low on F9. How much will I need? How about the other grades?
Bryan Cotton
Poplar Grove, IL C77
Waiex 191 N191YX
Taildragger, Aerovee, acro ailerons
dual sticks with sport trainer controls
Prebuilt spars and machined angle kit
Year 2 flying and approaching 200 hours December 23
Bryan Cotton

Re: How much Nuvite to buy?

Postby Rynoth » Sat Feb 15, 2014 9:31 am

All I know is at least 1lb of F9 at a minimum. The aft fuselage sides, turtledeck, stabilators and rudder used about 80% of my 1/2lb jar. I have a 1/2lb of C but haven't used any yet.
Ryan Roth
N197RR - Waiex #197 (Turbo Aerovee Taildragger)
Knoxville, TN (Hangar at KRKW)
My project blog: http://www.rynoth.com/wordpress/waiex/
Time-lapse video of my build: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q8QTd2HoyAM
Rynoth

Postby Bryan Cotton » Sat Feb 15, 2014 9:52 am

I must be wildly inefficient. Stabilators and one pass on the tailcone sides and I have used 90% of my 1/2 lb of F9.
Bryan Cotton
Poplar Grove, IL C77
Waiex 191 N191YX
Year 2 flying and approaching 200 hours December 23
Bryan Cotton

Postby Rynoth » Sat Feb 15, 2014 10:30 am

How much shine are you trying to get with F9? I'm mostly concentrating on rivet holes and harder to reach edges before riveting. I expect to do another F9 pass on the riveted parts before moving on to C grade. The more I think about it, I should have just bought 2 lbs and had some to spare. Buying 1/2lb cans piecemeal is already adding up in cost. Not sure what all sizes you can find it.
Ryan Roth
N197RR - Waiex #197 (Turbo Aerovee Taildragger)
Knoxville, TN (Hangar at KRKW)
My project blog: http://www.rynoth.com/wordpress/waiex/
Time-lapse video of my build: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q8QTd2HoyAM
Rynoth

Postby MichaelFarley56 » Sat Feb 15, 2014 1:50 pm

Bryan,

Have you watched Kerry Fores's video about Nuvite polishing on the factory website? It helped me a lot when I first started polishing. I believe the basic recommendation would be one light "fingerprint" of polish for every 6" X 6" area to start. If you've used 1/2 lb already you may be using too much (the stuff really seems to work well on a "less is more" approach). I use the Harbor Freight el-cheapo orbital polisher, and 1400-1500 rpm seems to be a good speed with light to medium pressure on the skins. I tried running it a lot faster but I don't think it works as well.

Of course, this also depends on how many passes you're doing per area. I just started polishing the tops of my new wing skins and after 3 passes of F9 things are looking good, but I may do 1 or 2 more passes before going onto the C grade.

It's just my opinion but to really get a nice, highly polished finish, expect 4-6 passes of F9, 2-3 of C, and 1-2 of S.

For someone starting off and wanting to polish the whole airplane, I recommend 2 lbs F9, 1 lb C, and 1/2 lb S. Just my two cents though!!
Mike Farley
Waiex #0056 - N569KM
Jabiru 3300A #1706
MGL Panel
MichaelFarley56

Postby sonex892 » Sat Feb 15, 2014 5:29 pm

Bryan Cotton wrote:I must be wildly inefficient. Stabilators and one pass on the tailcone sides and I have used 90% of my 1/2 lb of F9.

Bryan
It sounds like you're putting too much on. I was using too much initially and ran out of my first 1/2 lb tub in no time.

All up I did 7 passes of F9, from memory I think I used about 2lbs of F9 and 1/2 lb of C grade. It wasn't till I bought a cyclo last year that I started bothering with the S grade

Two problems with applying too much. One is it cuts better with less polish rather than too much, and two it tends to get thrown all over the place. I think half of my first tub of polish was getting flung off the plane and onto the floor and myself.

In addition to Kerry Fores video, check out a video of polishing an Airstream using Nuvite on the Perfect Polish website.
http://www.perfectpolish.com/index.html

Steve 892
sonex892

Postby Bryan Cotton » Sat Feb 15, 2014 6:45 pm

Thanks guys! We will try less Nuvite.
Bryan Cotton
Poplar Grove, IL C77
Waiex 191 N191YX