Metal and Rivet prep for paint question?

Discuss painting, polishing, or painting vs polishing.

Metal and Rivet prep for paint question?

Postby MichaelFarley56 » Wed Mar 15, 2023 9:56 pm

Hello Everyone,

Later this spring I’m planning on painting my Waiex with a single stage polyurethane to protect the aluminum from corrosion I’m finding.

For those who have painted their airplanes, I’m curious what you all have done to prep the aluminum for paint. I have a plan for the aluminum in general, but I thought I’d ask everyone how they dealt with the domed rivets. Is there some sort of tool to scuff up domed rivets for paint?

I’m just getting things ready for a spring warmup in weather so I can get this little project moving!

Thanks!
Mike Farley
Waiex #0056 - N569KM
Jabiru 3300A #1706
MGL Panel
MichaelFarley56

Re: Metal and Rivet prep for paint question?

Postby Bryan Cotton » Wed Mar 15, 2023 10:33 pm

Mike,
I have no intention of going to the dark side myself, but this may work:
https://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/ ... key=112516

I think I used some of it on a C140 restoration. Was a long time ago though. I think I used it on faying surfaces during reassembly and maybe steel parts.

PreKote© can be used on a wide range of surfaces including aluminum, steel, magnesium, titanium, CRES, galvanized, composite and plastic surfaces.

For prep you spray it on, scrub with a scotch brite pad, then rinse off.
https://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/ ... -01503.php
Bryan Cotton
Poplar Grove, IL C77
Waiex 191 N191YX
Taildragger, Aerovee, acro ailerons
dual sticks with sport trainer controls
Prebuilt spars and machined angle kit
Year 2 flying and approaching 200 hours December 23
Bryan Cotton

Postby MichaelFarley56 » Wed Mar 15, 2023 11:48 pm

Thanks Bryan! I’m planning on using that exact same product. Everyone I’ve talked to who has used that has been very happy with the results!

Thanks!!
Mike Farley
Waiex #0056 - N569KM
Jabiru 3300A #1706
MGL Panel
MichaelFarley56

Postby daleandee » Thu Mar 16, 2023 12:28 am

MichaelFarley56 wrote:Thanks Bryan! I’m planning on using that exact same product. Everyone I’ve talked to who has used that has been very happy with the results!

Thanks!!

That's what I used many moons ago. Read the directions carefully as IIRC they warn that you must rinse it completely and not allow the product to dry on the surface.
daleandee

Postby sonex892. » Thu Mar 16, 2023 8:05 am

After polishing with nuvite for 9 years painted mine 3 years ago. I first destroyed the polish with soapy water and 1200 grit wet or dry then again with soapy water and scouring pads while rinsing a lot.

After that alodined, rinsed. Prior to painting cleaned with a mixture of methylated spirit and water. Used an automotive 2 pac undercoat and paint.

I also dismantled the plane. Completely removing the wings and tail and flying surfaces etc. I also made a rotisere for the wing which made it relatively easy to paint both sides top and bottom during the same session.
Steve
Steve
Lazair kit 1981 sold
Sonerai 2LS plansbuilt 2003 sold
Sonex kit 2010
Sonerai 2LS project rotax 912
sonex892.

Return to Finish methods