Baggage area DIY

Discuss painting, polishing, or painting vs polishing.

Baggage area DIY

Postby Bryan Cotton » Sat Mar 11, 2023 12:23 am

With some cross country ahead of us, it was time to make a baggage area. I decided to make it sort of trapezoid shaped, like the shape of the formers and side rails. Here is the paper pattern. After I made the trapezoid, I made 4 rectangular walls 10" deep. I taped these onto the trapezoid, and then traced out the pattern on the fabric. I then marked out the horizontal part where the velcro would go. Also, for the corners of the baggage area, I put an extra 1" margin to sew the corners together.
Transfer cardboard pattern.jpg

Here it is cut out. I sewed up most of the velcro while it was still flat. It is a lot easier that way. Besides the velcro that would be mounting the baggage area to the aircraft, I put a couple of strips on the front of the baggage area to hold stuff there later. Initially I did not have a floor, except fabric, and it was more like a duffle bag effect. I didn't like that.
Pattern cut out.jpg

Here it is after sewing. I also made a pattern using posterboard for a closeout of the triangular section. You can see I also have my floor in place. It is foam posterboard and is velcroed in place. Sticky velcro on the foam board, and I sewed the velcro onto the fabric.
Sewn up.jpg

Bottom part in place and you can see there is a strip of velcro sewn in for the top closeout.
Bottom portion of baggage area in.jpg

Here is the top closeout in place. It helps keep the seatbelts from getting twisted up. I haven't flown with it yet but I think it looks good.
Both parts velcroed in.jpg
Bryan Cotton
Poplar Grove, IL C77
Waiex 191 N191YX
Taildragger, Aerovee, acro ailerons
dual sticks with sport trainer controls
Prebuilt spars and machined angle kit
Year 2 flying and approaching 200 hours December 23
Bryan Cotton

Re: Baggage area DIY

Postby Bryan Cotton » Sat Mar 11, 2023 12:35 am

I thought I would split up the post a little in case it crashed while I was typing or something.

Here I have started putting junk in. I made a little tool pouch. It has a couple of screwdrivers, a lightweight set of motorcycle toolkit pliers, a spare pitot tube, valve stem extenders, and my dipstick remover. The tool pouch has velcro to stick to the front of the baggage area.
Tool pouch and map.jpg

I have been using decalin to scavenge the lead. I have a little 12oz bottle marked in half oz increments, which is how much you add for 5 gallons of 100LL. I put some velcro on it so it would stay upright in the baggage area.
Decalin velcroed in.jpg

I bought 4 sheets of the foam board thinking I'd build up a 2-layer thing that would match the trapezoid shape. One sheet was not big enough to cover the wide dimension at the front of the baggage area. I decided to try a rectangle that fit into the back corners. That actually seemed good enough, so I sewed in some velcro to stick it in place. Now I have a pretty flat floor. If I was doing this over, I would have made the square floor to match the aft width and sewn in the velcro while the fabric was still flat. It's a lot easier.

The fabric is lightweight ripstop nylon. I bought 3 yards and could have gotten by with less than 2.
https://www.joann.com/rip-stop-nylon/7250426.html

Here is the foam board I bought.
https://www.walmart.com/ip/Pen-Gear-Whi ... hbdg=L1102

I think I spent about $30 total. Weight of the finished baggage area is 1 lb.
Bryan Cotton
Poplar Grove, IL C77
Waiex 191 N191YX
Bryan Cotton

Postby Weatherpilot » Sat Mar 11, 2023 3:28 am

Very nice. Thank you for sharing.

Greg.
Greg Hubert
Sonex A #972 TD
Aerovee Prince P-Tip / Dual stick
Third Owner
Eastern Panhandle of West Virginia
Weatherpilot

Postby T41pilot » Sat Mar 11, 2023 9:20 am

I did the sides and bottom with .025 during the build. The back is done with blue insulation foam braced on the back side to side in the middle with a piece of small aluminum angle. The foam is glued in place with RTV in case I ever want to take it apart again some day. Everything is covered with indoor/outdoor carpet. The carpet was thin and didn't weigh much. I had to make a raised tunnel on the floor to clear the elevator pushrod. It is removable for inspections.
Attachments
baggage area - Copy.jpg
Gregg Kaat
Sonex B #0014
T41pilot

Postby Bryan Cotton » Sat Mar 11, 2023 10:42 am

Thanks Greg H!
Gregg K, that looks great.
Bryan Cotton
Poplar Grove, IL C77
Waiex 191 N191YX
Bryan Cotton

Postby Bryan Cotton » Sat Mar 25, 2023 9:36 pm

I had my seat out to do some maintenance and took this picture of my baggage area.
baggage sling seat out.jpg
Bryan Cotton
Poplar Grove, IL C77
Waiex 191 N191YX
Bryan Cotton

Return to Finish methods