Vinyl Wrap

Discuss painting, polishing, or painting vs polishing.

Re: Vinyl Wrap

Postby Area 51% » Tue May 12, 2020 10:25 am

racaldwell wrote:Or make a carbon fiber overlay. I don't have a picture but I could get one Thursday if you are interested. Easy to make and your bare panel with the holes cut out is the template. I finished mine in March and used water slide decals for labels. Works great.

I made one for my RV-6 and it now is 20 yrs old and still holding up just fine. Some of the decals for ON/OFF on the frequently used switches have rubbed away but after the initial inspection, who cares? Toggle up is on, nobody will forget that.

Rick Caldwell
Xenos 0057

I have some vinyl samples on order. If that doesn't work out, I will certainly entertain the notion of actual carbon fiber, although it sounds like I'll have to learn yet another skill. If it matters, the panel is already riveted in place.
Area 51%

Postby XenosN42 » Tue May 12, 2020 10:52 am

pfhoeycfi wrote:That looks great. I'm curious, are the squares 2 x 2?

peter

Hi Peter,

I'll measure the size of the squares on the next flyable day and get back to you. I know they are bigger than 2 inches.

I took my designs to ID Wraps and asked their graphic designer to size and space the elements to achieve the best overall look. I don't have much of a designer's eye (to say the least).
-- Michael
OneX N169XE
author of the 'Flight Data Viewer'
XenosN42

Postby XenosN42 » Sat May 16, 2020 6:27 pm

XenosN42 wrote:
I'll measure the size of the squares on the next flyable day and get back to you. I know they are bigger than 2 inches.

All the squares are the same size, 97mm.

-- Michael
OneX N169XE
XenosN42

Postby pfhoeycfi » Wed Apr 06, 2022 11:34 am

Curious, if I were to have a shop wrap or paint my Sonex, is it permissible for the shop to put its name or logo on the aircraft? I never really thought about it until the shop asked the question.

peter
Peter Hoey
SEL Pvt, Comm Glider, CFIG, Pawnee & L19 Towpilot
Philadelphia Glider Council
Sonex B SNB0021, N561PH, Taildragger, Aerovee Turbo, MGL MX1, First flight Dec 18, 2022
Also built Sonerai IIL N86PH
pfhoeycfi

Postby XenosN42 » Wed Apr 06, 2022 11:40 am

pfhoeycfi wrote:Curious, if I were to have a shop wrap or paint my Sonex, is it permissible for the shop to put its name or logo on the aircraft? I never really thought about it until the shop asked the question.

peter

Can't image why not. If you've ever seen a Red Bull racing plane, they have their name and logo all over it. The only thing the inspector and FAA really care about is the size and location of the N number.

BTW, since you're in my area, the shop that did my work is ID Wraps https://idwraps.com/
-- Michael
OneX N169XE
XenosN42

Postby DCASonex » Thu Apr 07, 2022 9:51 am

It might be a problem since every time you have the plane out of the hangar, you are providing advertising to that company, and the FAA may assume you were compensated for that. Given the big stink recently about using experimental aircraft for flight instruction without a LODA even when instructors offered their services for free, would check on that.

The shop I used, has a picture of the plane on their wall..

David A.
DCASonex

Previous

Return to Finish methods