Painting

Discuss painting, polishing, or painting vs polishing.

Re: Painting

Postby Skippydiesel » Mon Sep 20, 2021 10:13 pm

Just done that Scott - came out at 27m2, very similar to my earlier guess of 28m2. Will go with 32m2, to be on the safe side.

Plus 50% will be way too much - already rounded up all estimates

I guess I am just lazy - why reinvent the wheel if someone else has already done it (paint a Sonex)?

In my experience - unused paint, previously opened/used can, has a very poor shelf life. Almost every time I have gone to reuse that bit that is left, the paint has changed - mostly separated out, oxidised, etc - I dont like wasting money, if I dont have to.

I rarely get help from the professionals (possible exception, medical) much prefer to have the satisfaction of doing it myself - have all the gear, gun compressor, scales, PPE & airconditioned (temp control) negative pressure spray booth (insulated enclosed trailer). Do all my own plumbing/electrical/mechanical/fabrication.
Skippydiesel

Postby Skippydiesel » Tue Oct 19, 2021 3:48 am

Interesting - most aircraft are painted, at least in part, so why is this not a hot topic with suggestions/alternatives coming from all directions????
Skippydiesel

Postby kmacht » Tue Oct 19, 2021 1:45 pm

I had my airplane painted by an auto body shop that specialized in hot rods and classic car restoration. For cost comparison it was about 7k for a 4 color paint job using a DuPont basecoat/clearcoat system. Coverage wise I paid for 2 gallons of primer, 2 gallons of white, 1 gallon of metallic blue, 3 gallons of clear, and 1quart each of red and black, plus all the activators/reducers/etc. When they were done they had about a quarter gallon of both the blue and white left over, a half quart of red and 3/4 quart of black. I still have that paint a few years later and use it for rock chip touch ups and it has not yet gone bad. It took about 1.75 gallons to paint the whole plane one color. If figuring out coverage don’t forget to include things like the cowl, wheel pants, fairings, etc. also don’t forget that you will have lots of overspray even when using a hvlp spray gun. The place that did the paint work for me didn’t make much of a profit and instead used my project for advertising. I’m not sure I could get the same paint job done elsewhere for the same cost. If I were to do it again I would have probably primed it myself and then paid someone to do a vinyl wrap.

Keith
kmacht

Postby XenosN42 » Tue Oct 19, 2021 4:28 pm

kmacht wrote:I had my airplane painted by an auto body shop that specialized in hot rods and classic car restoration. For cost comparison it was about 7k for a 4 color paint job using a DuPont basecoat/clearcoat system. Coverage wise I paid for 2 gallons of primer, 2 gallons of white, 1 gallon of metallic blue, 3 gallons of clear, and 1quart each of red and black, plus all the activators/reducers/etc. When they were done they had about a quarter gallon of both the blue and white left over, a half quart of red and 3/4 quart of black. I still have that paint a few years later and use it for rock chip touch ups and it has not yet gone bad. It took about 1.75 gallons to paint the whole plane one color. If figuring out coverage don’t forget to include things like the cowl, wheel pants, fairings, etc. also don’t forget that you will have lots of overspray even when using a hvlp spray gun. The place that did the paint work for me didn’t make much of a profit and instead used my project for advertising. I’m not sure I could get the same paint job done elsewhere for the same cost. If I were to do it again I would have probably primed it myself and then paid someone to do a vinyl wrap.

Keith

My plane was vinyl wrap without a primer coat. Vinyl on the bare aluminum.
-- Michael
OneX N169XE
author of the 'Flight Data Viewer'
XenosN42

Postby Skippydiesel » Tue Oct 19, 2021 6:32 pm

kmacht wrote:I had my airplane painted by an auto body shop that specialized in hot rods and classic car restoration. For cost comparison it was about 7k for a 4 color paint job using a DuPont basecoat/clearcoat system. Coverage wise I paid for 2 gallons of primer, 2 gallons of white, 1 gallon of metallic blue, 3 gallons of clear, and 1quart each of red and black, plus all the activators/reducers/etc. When they were done they had about a quarter gallon of both the blue and white left over, a half quart of red and 3/4 quart of black. I still have that paint a few years later and use it for rock chip touch ups and it has not yet gone bad. It took about 1.75 gallons to paint the whole plane one color. If figuring out coverage don’t forget to include things like the cowl, wheel pants, fairings, etc. also don’t forget that you will have lots of overspray even when using a hvlp spray gun. The place that did the paint work for me didn’t make much of a profit and instead used my project for advertising. I’m not sure I could get the same paint job done elsewhere for the same cost. If I were to do it again I would have probably primed it myself and then paid someone to do a vinyl wrap.

Keith

Great feed back Keith - my thanks.

Ref overspray; In my limited experience, I have only had items being sprayed at that time, in my temporary home made spray booth.
Skippydiesel

Postby Skippydiesel » Tue Oct 19, 2021 6:34 pm

[
My plane was vinyl wrap without a primer coat. Vinyl on the bare aluminum.[/quote]

I will have to look into this. Sounds heavy but may not be.
Skippydiesel

Previous

Return to Finish methods