Cleaning the Aircraft

Discuss painting, polishing, or painting vs polishing.

Cleaning the Aircraft

Postby hickej » Tue Jul 28, 2015 1:31 am

I discovered a way to clean my Waiex that I wish someone had taught me a long time ago. After my flight to and from Oshkosh the plane was covered in bug guts and dirt. It looked ugly. I usually use the Nuvite cleaner on the polished parts and automotive cleaner/wax on the fiberglass parts but then I discovered the trick! I bought a couple of gallons of distilled water and washed the plane with that. I use one pass with a soaked cotton cloth to 'lift' the dirt very gently. I turn or replace the cloth as it picks up dirt to avoid scratching the finish. After the first pass I use a micro-fiber cloth to dry the surfaces and look for remaining bug splats. I use the distilled water and cotton cloth to get rid of the stubborn bugs and follow up again with the micro-fiber. It was so easy and looked great. The distilled water doesn't contain chlorine which can attack the aluminum nor does it contain minerals which create spots as would happen to me before with tap water. I can now clean the entire aircraft with nothing but one gallon of distilled water and it shines right up.
hickej

Return to Finish methods