Only F9 beneath?

Discuss painting, polishing, or painting vs polishing.

Only F9 beneath?

Postby SvingenB » Sun May 03, 2015 2:59 pm

Started polishing yesterday. When I finally got the grip on it, I must say the F9 alone gives a remarkable good result. I was thinking using f9 only beneath, but maybe the C/S contain some other stuff (wax or something) that also is a good thing. What is the common procedure here?
Reserved LN-ENX for Onex #134
Onex build log
SvingenB

Re: Only F9 beneath?

Postby Bryan Cotton » Sun May 03, 2015 5:13 pm

I think it would be fine to only polish with F9 if you were happy enough with it. Other people do a lazy man's polish job where they paint underneath. Same idea, you don't really see it close up. I do notice a big difference between F9 and C though. Have not opened the S yet.
Bryan Cotton
Poplar Grove, IL C77
Waiex 191 N191YX
Taildragger, Aerovee, acro ailerons
dual sticks with sport trainer controls
Prebuilt spars and machined angle kit
Year 2 flying and approaching 200 hours December 23
Bryan Cotton

Postby DCASonex » Mon May 04, 2015 9:22 am

It seems the more you polish with the finer grit, the more the grain is closed and the more resistant the surface becomes to oxidation that tends to turn it white. From factory stock, polish with the "F" grade looks pretty good, but the "C" is that much better, and the "S" really makes for a mirror finish:

The way I tell when it is sufficiently polished is when the hazy image of Joe cool pilot becomes a sharp clear image of an old fart.

David A. Sonex TD, with CAMit 3300, Lazy man's polish, undersides of wing and tail and all moving surfaces painted. Kept in hangar, re-polish with "S" grade once each year.
DCASonex

Postby SvingenB » Mon May 04, 2015 10:38 am

DCASonex wrote:The way I tell when it is sufficiently polished is when the hazy image of Joe cool pilot becomes a sharp clear image of an old fart.

David A. Sonex TD, with CAMit 3300, Lazy man's polish, undersides of wing and tail and all moving surfaces painted. Kept in hangar, re-polish with "S" grade once each year.

:D I think that suits me just perfect. Both the description of sufficiently polished and the lazy man's polish.
Reserved LN-ENX for Onex #134
Onex build log
SvingenB

Return to Finish methods