Vinyl Wrap

Discuss painting, polishing, or painting vs polishing.

Vinyl Wrap

Postby gammaxy » Wed Jun 04, 2014 11:37 am

I decided to try to wrap my fiberglass parts with Hexis HX20OAUB vinyl. Not having any experience, I decided to just give it a try and see what works and what doesn't.

A difficult part seems to be figuring out where to put the seams. I was hoping I could figure out how to wrap the tail tips with no seams, but can't think of a good way to do it.

I ended up with a seam approximately following the "ridge" of the tips. I free-handed the seam so it is a little wavy. It is most noticeable in the picture at the top of the tip. I am concerned that the seam being located where there is a lot of stretching of the vinyl and directly into the wind might not be great placement for durability.

Figuring out what to do with the material in the back corner is a little tricky too. I think I can do a better job getting the material to conform to my protruding-head rivets and am excited to see how it covers the countersunk rivets on my cowl.

I haven't looked closely at other wrapped planes to benefit from other's learning curves, so maybe this thread will stir up some creative ideas.
Chris Madsen
Aerovee Sonex N256CM
Flying since September 2014
Build log: http://chrismadsen.org
gammaxy

Re: Vinyl Wrap

Postby mfazio » Wed Jun 04, 2014 12:28 pm

Interesting. I've considered the same even though I am very far from adding color to my project. I ran across "PlastiDip" on utube, apparently this is being used on autos. Kind of cool all the different effects you can do and you can just peel if off if unhappy. I think this is the same stuff you use to dip your tool handles for better grip. Seems the auto folks have been doing this for several years at least.

I have no idea if it would work with a riveted aircraft structure and have no idea on the longevity if used for this type of application. Interesting though and did not appear to be difficult to apply. No idea on the weight penalty either.

Mike Fazio
Waiex #63
mfazio

Postby Sonex1517 » Wed Jun 04, 2014 12:40 pm

Very cool!

Where did you find this stuff?

Robbie
Robbie Culver
Sonex 1517
Aero Estates (T25)
First flight 10/10/2015
325+ hours
Jabiru 3300 Gen 4
Prince P Tip
Taildragger
N1517S
Sonex1517

Postby MichaelFarley56 » Wed Jun 04, 2014 12:47 pm

Very interesting stuff. There's a big discussion going on right now over in the Vans Air Force forums about wrapping an entire airplane. I guess there's been a decent number of people who have tried this (at least 6) and customers seem very happy with the results. The claim is it's cheaper than paint, quicker to apply, and only half the weight. People have tried this with the RV-12 (same domed pop rivets as us) and I guess domed rivets aren't any issue.

I have to admit it's a cool idea! A lot quicker and cleaner than paint, and if you get bored with your scheme later on, just remove it and put something new on there. My only conern would be durability in the long run.
Mike Farley
Waiex #0056 - N569KM
Jabiru 3300A #1706
MGL Panel
MichaelFarley56

Postby gammaxy » Wed Jun 04, 2014 1:04 pm

Sonex1517 wrote:Where did you find this stuff?

Mine is a color from the HX20000 cast vinyl product line from Hexis. I ordered the minimum length of 5.5 yards (by something like 5 feet wide I think) for ~$200.

3M has a similar product line, but I liked the glittery orange colors from Hexis better, but both product lines seem great.

I went with vinyl after researching paint booths, respirators, etc. It seemed like it was something I could install relatively easily and get color options and features that would be much more difficult for me to achieve with paint.
Chris Madsen
Aerovee Sonex N256CM
Flying since September 2014
Build log: http://chrismadsen.org
gammaxy

Postby Sonex541 » Wed Jun 04, 2014 10:46 pm

You can buy small pieces on eBay , for cheap money , I ordered 16" by I think 15 ft of chrome wrap to do my rudder tip and the wing tips , and also did my dash panel in carbon fiberwrap , , If you apply some heat you will be surprised the curves and contours it allows you to do , as far as plastic dip I am considering spraying my whole Sonex , if you don't like it it peels right off , I'm just worried about around the rivets , I'm tired of polishing and keeping it clean , it's never ending ,
Adam Simmons
Sonex 541
Sonex541

Return to Finish methods