Painting

Discuss painting, polishing, or painting vs polishing.

Painting

Postby neflyer48 » Wed Jul 05, 2017 12:39 pm

Should the control surfaces be removed before painting an airplane? Has anyone painted with them on?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
neflyer48

Re: Painting

Postby kevinh » Wed Jul 05, 2017 4:22 pm

Removing them is easy and I think getting a good paint job with them off would be easier as well.
Taildragger Waiex in progress, tail done, wings done, about to mate wings to fuse,
then cowl, canopy, paint (photos): flush rivets, turbo aerovee, acro ailerons
(I built my RV7A and happily flew it for about 500 hrs)
kevinh

Postby kmacht » Wed Jul 05, 2017 4:41 pm

Yes. You will want to remove them. You will get all sorts of runs and dry spots while trying to spray the rear spar with the control surfaces attached. The paint will also bridge the hinges and crack when dry. At a minimum you will have to pull the ailerons to rebalance them after painting. Don't balance before you paint otherwise you will have to add lead back on to offset the paint weight.

Keith
kmacht

Painting

Postby neflyer48 » Wed Jul 05, 2017 6:26 pm

kmacht wrote:Yes. You will want to remove them. You will get all sorts of runs and dry spots while trying to spray the rear spar with the control surfaces attached. The paint will also bridge the hinges and crack when dry. At a minimum you will have to pull the ailerons to rebalance them after painting. Don't balance before you paint otherwise you will have to add lead back on to offset the paint weight.

Keith

Thank you for the advice guys. I will remove them.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
neflyer48

Postby johnnn » Fri Nov 10, 2017 5:35 pm

I am ready to rivet my Onex ailerons. Would it be ok to paint the ailerons and then rivet the hinges on top of the paint? I know it would look nicer. Also, I don't want paint clogging the hinges. But is it acceptable to have a layer of paint between the hinges and the aileron.
johnnn

Postby sonex1374 » Sat Nov 11, 2017 10:16 am

John,

You could rivet the hinge on after painting, but it's really simple to keep paint out of the hinge loops if they're already riveted on. Simply insert an old hinge pin and a scrap section of piano hinge onto the aileron hinge before painting. The pin and scrap hinge will keep the paint from pooling inside the hinge loops. Chances are you've got some extras of both laying around. If you do get paint inside the loops, you can make a reamer from a spare hinge pin. Flatten the last 1/4" of the hinge pin to about 2/3 it's normal diameter, then grind the end of the pin back to just about the end of the flattened section. What you'll get is a slightly wider, flatter hinge pin, with a sharp, square face on it. Chuck this pin into a hand drill and spin it into the paint-clogged loops. The square face will ream the insides and clean out your hinges.

Jeff
Jeff Shultz
Sonex TD, 3300, AeroInjector
Kansas City, MO
http://www.sonex604.com
sonex1374

Postby Skippydiesel » Thu Sep 16, 2021 2:04 am

For a whole of aircraft paint job, what surface area you are using to determine the amount of paint required
Skippydiesel

Postby Skippydiesel » Sat Sep 18, 2021 1:11 am

Come on, surely someone made a conservative estimate, of their Senex exterior surface area, before they purchased the paint
Skippydiesel

Postby Bryan Cotton » Sat Sep 18, 2021 10:22 am

Skippydiesel wrote:Come on, surely someone made a conservative estimate, of their Senex exterior surface area, before they purchased the paint

Perhaps not! I polished, and kept buying more until I was done.

Would be easy enough to figure out. If you do it be sure to post it for the next person!
Bryan Cotton
Poplar Grove, IL C77
Waiex 191 N191YX
Taildragger, Aerovee, acro ailerons
dual sticks with sport trainer controls
Prebuilt spars and machined angle kit
Year 2 flying and approaching 200 hours December 23
Bryan Cotton

Postby Skippydiesel » Sat Sep 18, 2021 5:46 pm

Bryan Cotton wrote:
Skippydiesel wrote:Come on, surely someone made a conservative estimate, of their Senex exterior surface area, before they purchased the paint

Perhaps not! I polished, and kept buying more until I was done.

Would be easy enough to figure out. If you do it be sure to post it for the next person!

Thanks mate - by the time I find out the aircraft will be mine/or not and my efforts to budget will have come to zero.
Skippydiesel

Next

Return to Finish methods