Loose Wheel Pant

Discussion for builders, pilots, owners, and those interested in building or owning a Sonex.

Loose Wheel Pant

Postby Friesen5 » Wed Jul 31, 2024 1:19 pm

Good Morning,

My wheel pants are slightly loose and I can move them with my hand when they are mounted on my landing gear. I have the hydraulic brake option (which I really like), and the wheel pant mount is the 1/16" aluminum plate that is attached to the mounting tab with a clevis pin. I think my mounting tab hole might be slightly enlarged.

I've flown with the loose pants, but I'm not comfortable doing it. I did take a video and sent it to Kerry Fores when he was still at Sonex. He said it was okay, but... So, I've been flying sans wheel pants.

Could you share your experience with the mounting plate and wheel pants?

Would you consider it unsafe to fly with a slight movement in the wheel pants?

Another question - My 1/16" plate ended up tilting forward. The plans show it level with the airplane. It works this way, but where did I go wrong?

Mervin Friesen
Sonex 122
Jab 2200
Friesen5

Re: Loose Wheel Pant

Postby Bryan Cotton » Wed Jul 31, 2024 2:46 pm

I've had that issue. The tab is drilled to 3/16" but the other holes are 1/4". I switched to a 1/4" bolt. Had to use one of the small squished metal locknuts as there is not much room on the axle.

Also the plates in the kit are made for nosedraggers. If you have a tailwheel aircraft you have to make your own.
Bryan Cotton
Poplar Grove, IL C77
Waiex 191 N191YX
Taildragger, Aerovee, acro ailerons
dual sticks with sport trainer controls
Prebuilt spars and machined angle kit
Year 2 flying and approaching 200 hours December 23
Bryan Cotton

Return to Sonex