Parking Sonex Outside On Ramp Year Round

Discussion for builders, pilots, owners, and those interested in building or owning a Sonex.

Parking Sonex Outside On Ramp Year Round

Postby Charles1954 » Thu Apr 25, 2024 7:05 am

I'm considering taking over a Sonex project, but hesitant since the hangar waiting list here in Citrus County, Florida is many-years long. Are there any owners who keep their Sonex parked outside year-round? Any issues or concerns with outside parking? Obviously, a high quality canopy cover would be a necessity.
Charles1954

Re: Parking Sonex Outside On Ramp Year Round

Postby Area 51% » Thu Apr 25, 2024 8:11 am

There is a Sonex and a Xenos parked on the ramp full time in Crystal River. Gary Johnson drives the Xenos, and Bob Adams is in command of the Sonex.
You might stop by and have a chat with them.
Area 51%

Postby Skippydiesel » Thu Apr 25, 2024 10:13 pm

My Sonex is parked outside, with a full custom fit cover (by "Punkin Head Air Sports" Vic.).

It's a "pain in the rear end", having to take it off/put it on before/after each flight and it cost about $2,000 Australian.

The cover certainly protects from the effects of general weathering but not against hail. We get some pretty nasty/large hail from time to time - so I worry every time a big purple/black cloud comes over our area.
Skippydiesel

Postby Charles1954 » Fri Apr 26, 2024 10:34 am

Copy that. Thanks
Charles1954

Postby mike.smith » Thu May 02, 2024 9:34 pm

I had mine, polished finish, outside for 6 years with no ill effects. I had a canopy cover and wing covers, which both did an excellent job. Up here in the northeast, it was REALLY nice in the winter to just pull the wing covers off and never have to worry about snow, ice or frost on the wings. I didn't have a cover for the tail, but that was easy to clean off in the winter. Don't skimp on the canopy cover. You want a really good one that is thick fabric, and with several straps that go under the fuselage. You want it to fit tightly.
Mike Smith
Sonex N439M
Scratch built, AeroVee, Dual stick, Tail dragger
http://www.mykitlog.com/mikesmith
mike.smith

Postby Skippydiesel » Fri May 03, 2024 6:14 am

Where my Sonex "lives" is probably about 98% Jabiru aircraft - standing outside in all weather.

The Jab's are really tough, little UV impact, nothing from rain (except the odd leak) and even large hail doesn't seem to leave a mark.

The Sonex will stand up to most weather conditions, assuming its well tied down BUT it won't do well if pelted with large hail. We get large hail, golf ball size relativly frequently, say once every 8-10 years, tennis ball size say once every 10-30 years. Hail like this will smash car bodies, let alone a Sonex aluminium skin.
Skippydiesel

Postby techno-wizard » Fri May 03, 2024 9:37 am

mike.smith wrote:I had mine, polished finish, outside for 6 years with no ill effects. I had a canopy cover and wing covers, which both did an excellent job. Up here in the northeast, it was REALLY nice in the winter to just pull the wing covers off and never have to worry about snow, ice or frost on the wings. I didn't have a cover for the tail, but that was easy to clean off in the winter. Don't skimp on the canopy cover. You want a really good one that is thick fabric, and with several straps that go under the fuselage. You want it to fit tightly.

Hi Mike,

Were your wing covers a stock purchase or did you have them custom made?
Keith Borgstrom
Sport Pilot
Currently building legacy Sonex #1598
N5YZ - Reserved
Tri-gear, Aerovee 2.1, dual stick, Sport Trainer configuration
http://www.mykitlog.com/techno-wizar
techno-wizard

Return to Sonex