Windscreen cleaning

Discussion for builders, pilots, owners, and those interested in building or owning a Sonex.

Windscreen cleaning

Postby Skippydiesel » Mon Feb 05, 2024 6:22 pm

The Sonex windscreen design makes for a very difficult INTERNAL clean.

Good pilot visibility, unobstructed by smears, specs of insect poop, etc is essential for safe flying.

My arm/hand, with a cleaning cloth, will only reach a bit over half way forward, on the screen and will not fit down the sides at all - leaving quite a large area of uncleaned polycarbonate.

I am leary about using a stick, with rag attached, for fear of scratching the polycarbonate.

I would like to hear from Sonex owners who have come up with techniques, to clean at least most of the windscreen without causing damage
Skippydiesel

Re: Windscreen cleaning

Postby Bryan Cotton » Mon Feb 05, 2024 6:27 pm

I kneel on the seat and lean over the glareshield. It's a pain. I'm only 5'7" so my arms are not really long.
Bryan Cotton
Poplar Grove, IL C77
Waiex 191 N191YX
Taildragger, Aerovee, acro ailerons
dual sticks with sport trainer controls
Prebuilt spars and machined angle kit
Year 2 flying and approaching 200 hours December 23
Bryan Cotton

Postby Skippydiesel » Mon Feb 05, 2024 7:41 pm

My arse is so close to the ground, I drag my knuckles - ha! ha!

Seriously - it is a problem of the design - all Sonex flyers must have the same problem. Surly some have come up with a surefire way of cleaning the inside of the windscreen??????
Skippydiesel

Postby Skippydiesel » Tue Feb 06, 2024 5:54 pm

Wow! A problem common to all Sonex and only one respondent. What can this mean???
Skippydiesel

Postby Weatherpilot » Tue Feb 06, 2024 6:34 pm

Being a tall person I have long arms. Go Go Gadget arms.

No problemo

Guess I was born to clean a Sonex inside windscreen. I'll be at Oshkosh with my microfiber towels and cleaner for anyone that I can help out.
Greg Hubert
Sonex A #972 TD
Aerovee Prince P-Tip / Dual stick
Third Owner
Eastern Panhandle of West Virginia
Weatherpilot

Postby BobDz » Tue Feb 06, 2024 8:36 pm

Mine is easy to clean.
(Just took it out of the box)

But you have me thinking about a modified drywall pole sander with a microfiber cloth.
Bob Dz...
Sonex B, Tri-gear
(technically within walking distance of Sonex)
N624DZ (reserved)

Plans exist to eliminate confusion, not create it.
BobDz

Postby Skippydiesel » Tue Feb 06, 2024 8:39 pm

Great response Weatherpilot - and what an offer. Shame that Oshkosh is just a little beyond my Sonex range (from Australia)
Skippydiesel

Postby Skippydiesel » Tue Feb 06, 2024 8:45 pm

Hi BobDz,

Don't know if you've found out yet BUT polycarbonate sheet has two big drawbacks:

Seems to attract scratches/abrasion like a iron filings to a magnet. I would not want to put any sort of metal device (modified drywall sander) anywhere near it.
    Hydrocarbons (eg petrol, many cleaning products, etc) will make it craze even crack should a drop or two land on it
Skippydiesel

Postby Bryan Cotton » Tue Feb 06, 2024 9:09 pm

Skippydiesel wrote:Great response Weatherpilot - and what an offer. Shame that Oshkosh is just a little beyond my Sonex range (from Australia)

I thought you put long range tanks in your airplane? Some temporary skinny wheels for payload and cruise speed should make it possible. I'd buy your dinner at the Sonex builder's BBQ while Greg does your window.

Edit: back to seriousness, I can clean my windshield pretty good. I find I only have to do the inside about once for every 3 or 4 outside cleanings.
Bryan Cotton
Poplar Grove, IL C77
Waiex 191 N191YX
Taildragger, Aerovee, acro ailerons
dual sticks with sport trainer controls
Prebuilt spars and machined angle kit
Year 2 flying and approaching 200 hours December 23
Bryan Cotton

Postby BRS » Tue Feb 06, 2024 11:48 pm

About a year ago I purchased this slick two sided magnetic cleaner. It comes with it's own micro-fiber cloth on both halves and they are attracted to each other with an adjustable magnet. So the idea is you wet both halves and put one on the inside and the other on the outside and wipe away. I believe it was designed for folks in high rise buildings with windows that only crack open a few inches. Alas, it's still new and I've not tried it yet so can't give a pirep.

https://www.amazon.com/magnetic-cleaner ... er+windows
-Brock
Sonex-A (s/n 1013)
R2300, P-tip 54/50
Center Stick
V16, TT22
BRS

Next

Return to Sonex