Tires/Gear Leg/Toe In

Discussion for builders, pilots, owners, and those interested in building or owning a Sonex.

Tires/Gear Leg/Toe In

Postby tps8903 » Sun Nov 19, 2023 6:00 pm

I burned through a set of stock tires in 70 hrs, with 2/3 of the landings being on turf. One tire blew out on me while taxiing today.

I took the opportunity to upsize to 5x5.00, because I wanted to, and also my hand was forced because that's all the FBO had in stock.

When I got back while looking at the plane I felt like the left main gear might have a bend in it, and that might be causing alignment issues? I'm going to pull it off and check it against a straight edge this week. Does anyone have advice for straightening a main gear with a press that has done it?

Once that's done I'm going to have another look at the toe in....The plane kit had it set when I bought it, so it was one of the tasks I didn't have to do during the build. Advice is welcome.

I am considering using grease plates to get the toe in correct, I may have to up drill the axels to move them on the current gear. Task #1 however is making sure they are not bent.
Chris Morris
Sonex N998PC - SOLD!
Sonex #1732 - Aerovee Turbo
Central Florida
tps8903

Re: Tires/Gear Leg/Toe In

Postby Bryan Cotton » Sun Nov 19, 2023 6:14 pm

We are about to replace the tires for the second time at 185 hours or so. We had a blowout on the first set. I suspect alignment and plan to measure it carefully when ballasted up. I was going to put steel rods under a steel plate to let the gear spread out, same idea as a grease plate. No advice yet, it's going to be a winter project.
Bryan Cotton
Poplar Grove, IL C77
Waiex 191 N191YX
Taildragger, Aerovee, acro ailerons
dual sticks with sport trainer controls
Prebuilt spars and machined angle kit
Year 2 flying and approaching 200 hours December 23
Bryan Cotton

Postby tps8903 » Sun Nov 19, 2023 8:02 pm

Bryan Cotton wrote:We are about to replace the tires for the second time at 185 hours or so. We had a blowout on the first set. I suspect alignment and plan to measure it carefully when ballasted up. I was going to put steel rods under a steel plate to let the gear spread out, same idea as a grease plate. No advice yet, it's going to be a winter project.

Roger.

I'm gonna haul the legs off this week and check to see if they are bent. If they are ill bend them back, maybe a touch the opposite way with a 12 ton pipe bender.

Then I'll throw them on grease plates and see how they look.

I suspect my high landing speed when the plane was new and resulting excessive braking didn't help time wear. I'm gonna leave the pants off u til I figure this out
Chris Morris
Sonex N998PC - SOLD!
Central Florida
tps8903

Postby bvolcko38 » Mon Nov 20, 2023 9:18 am

What tires are you running? What tire blew out?
Bill Volcko XNS0068
Xenos A N68WV 99% flush rivets
Aerovee and Prince P-Tip
MGL Discovery Lite w/ Sandia STX 165R
V6
First hole 4/1/16
First flight 8/24/18
Phase I complete...finally!!!
Also flying a Challenger II since 1999
bvolcko38

Postby Bryan Cotton » Mon Nov 20, 2023 9:30 am

bvolcko38 wrote:What tires are you running? What tire blew out?

Not sure if you are asking Chris, me, or both. Cheng Shin, right tire. We had let it get too worn and it failed during taxi.
Bryan Cotton
Poplar Grove, IL C77
Waiex 191 N191YX
Bryan Cotton

Postby tps8903 » Mon Nov 20, 2023 10:00 am

bvolcko38 wrote:What tires are you running? What tire blew out?

Cheng Sing tires. Pilot side. Same, blew out during taxi. Both were worn equally poorly however.
Chris Morris
Sonex N998PC - SOLD!
Central Florida
tps8903

Postby Area 51% » Mon Nov 20, 2023 10:53 am

tps8903 wrote:When I got back while looking at the plane I felt like the left main gear might have a bend in it, and that might be causing alignment issues? I'm going to pull it off and check it against a straight edge this week. Does anyone have advice for straightening a main gear with a press that has done it?

The factory prototype Xenos had it's gear legs bent pretty badly here in Crystal River a couple of years ago. The owner has a friend with a press and he straightened the legs with admirable results.

I can put you in touch with him if you like.
Area 51%

Postby Bryan Cotton » Mon Nov 20, 2023 10:58 am

I'll confess my flat was pilot induced. It's hard to see the tires with the wheel pants. We wore a hole which exposed the tube. I was a little shocked how quickly they wore but now I know!
Bryan Cotton
Poplar Grove, IL C77
Waiex 191 N191YX
Bryan Cotton

Postby tps8903 » Mon Nov 20, 2023 2:21 pm

So an update. I purchased a rolling chasis when I acquired this kit. I thought I checked everything over when I bought it. Indeed I found 3 relatively important things when I went over the airframe. It should be mentioned the previous builder was on his 4th build and was a very good builder.

I checked the gear legs today. They are NOT bent, just a little bit of an optical illusion the way the plane sits.

However, I ja ked it up and checked the wheel alignment. 3.9° toe out!!!! WTF!

No wonder I shredded those tires in 9 months.

So now I have to rotate the axles and re drill. I have to move them enough, should I just drill a new hole about 1" above the current one? Or drill out the current hole large enough to see the gear leg hole and weld new pieces and back drill each side? I would prefer not to leave the plane on horses with wheels removed to do the welding and painting.....

Suggestions?
Chris Morris
Sonex N998PC - SOLD!
Central Florida
tps8903

Postby Bryan Cotton » Mon Nov 20, 2023 3:02 pm

Chris,
I had 3 thoughts on how to do it:
1) weld up the axles and then redrill.
2) make a sleeve, drill to the gear leg. Slot the original. Get it lined up, mark/tack weld it, then weld for real.
3) buy new weldments.

Would like to see your setup for checking alignment.
Bryan Cotton
Poplar Grove, IL C77
Waiex 191 N191YX
Bryan Cotton

Next

Return to Sonex