Garmin G5 in Sonex-A

Discussion for builders, pilots, owners, and those interested in building or owning a Sonex.

Garmin G5 in Sonex-A

Postby austexaviator » Mon Mar 13, 2023 12:58 pm

Has anyone installed a Garmin G5 in their Sonex A Model? The G5 installation manual says up to 15% panel angle is OK, but our birds have a 30 degree angle. Wanted to get some feedback from this group.
Patrick
Tailwheel Sonex Model A Jabiru 3300
austexaviator

Re: Garmin G5 in Sonex-A

Postby Area 51% » Wed Mar 15, 2023 7:05 pm

Yes. I have/had one....and will again. The reason I went with the G5 is because it would allow the 30deg angle. It was the only unit available at the time that would.
Area 51%

Postby JohnBlackstone » Sun Sep 10, 2023 7:13 pm

Thanks for the feedback on the G5, Area. I’m about to purchase one, I’m pretty sure. is it difficult to read the various elements of the display because of its small size, especially in choppy air? What are you using as your main source of navigation? I understand that the heading displayed on the attitude indicator is magetic heading.

I’m replacing my MGL round flight instrument, and I’m using my Ipad with Foreflight.
JohnBlackstone

Postby Area 51% » Mon Sep 11, 2023 11:34 am

The only thing hard to read is the VSI. It's so obscure I contacted the distributor thinking it was absent from my unit. It's there....but nearly useless.
It has a heading indicator???? I never used it. A handheld and a paper chart always got us where we were going. An Ipad is on the wish-list for this next Waiex.
Area 51%

Return to Sonex