Flap 1/2 inch to high

Discussion for builders, pilots, owners, and those interested in building or owning a Sonex.

Flap 1/2 inch to high

Postby bakerde36 » Mon Aug 01, 2022 2:49 pm

Hi all,
I measured my Flap at the trailing edge of leading edge wing skin and I am 9/16 to high. Will this affect performance I have heard it is better to be a little high then low. The measurement is suppose to be 2 29/32 and I am at 2 18/32. I just hate to screw out the turnbuckle to much. What is the minimum full turns needed. I have always used at least 5 full turns.
Densil Baker
Sonex 1578, Tailwheel
Hummel 2400, Prince Ptip 54x50
bakerde36

Re: Flap 1/2 inch to high

Postby Bryan Cotton » Mon Aug 01, 2022 7:56 pm

Densil,
As long as the witness hole shows threads you should be good. A half inch seems like a lot. Mine came right in.
Bryan Cotton
Poplar Grove, IL C77
Waiex 191 N191YX
Taildragger, Aerovee, acro ailerons
dual sticks with sport trainer controls
Prebuilt spars and machined angle kit
Year 2 flying and approaching 200 hours December 23
Bryan Cotton

Re: Flap 1/2 inch to high

Postby DCASonex » Tue Aug 02, 2022 9:28 am

Might also consider up limit stops for the flaps. The A series flap operator linkage has a lot of play in it, and the two little angle strips fastened to the fuselage are aerodynamic seals, not upper limit stops, they contact the flap at its weakest point. Peter in OZ sells adjustable stops that fit just under the trailing edge of the upper wing skin. I made my own but then decided I did not like the small contact area of the heads of the nylon adjusting bolts, and made solid plastic stops that also fit under upper wing skin, but each stop has a broad contact area along about 3" of flap at he top bend of the flap, a strong point. . These could also be made from light wood, they are barely visible, use two per flap, Without these stops, my right flap would push its way up under the trailing edge wing skin in flight. Well worth installing even if you do not see a problem when on the ground.

David A.
DCASonex

Return to Sonex