Draft ??

Discussion for builders, pilots, owners, and those interested in building or owning a Sonex.

Re: Draft ??

Postby peter anson » Mon May 23, 2022 10:51 pm

I didn't try to seal the aileron pushrod holes although there is plenty of air enters through those holes. I sealed along the side and back of the seats with soft panels that velcro to the seat pan.
Air then came through the joystick cutout in the seat pan but a boot fixed that. The flaps have the added advantage of stopping things from falling under the seat where they might interfere with control movement.

Pteer
peter anson

Postby GraemeSmith » Tue May 24, 2022 6:38 am

Skippydiesel wrote:Making a paper cone, to use as a pattern for my felt draft excluder idea should be easy.

I can make a cone okay, even checked out some "How To..." videos (there are heaps) but do you think I can make one that has just the right dimensions??? Nooooo!

FRUSTRATION!!! - just have to make more cones, in the hope one comes close to my careful measurements.

Best I can describe - you need to tilt the cone forward - quite significantly so the center axis of the cone matches the line of the stick when pushed full forward. Then cut the base obliquely at the base to match the seat pan.

The cone also needs to be "longer" than the stick by almost twice the stick length - so when fitted to the stick and squashed down - you get the amount of material you need to allow it to flex in all directions. So the cone is taller and "pointier" than you might imagine it should be.
Graeme JW Smith
GraemeSmith

Postby Skippydiesel » Tue May 24, 2022 6:49 am

peter anson wrote:I didn't try to seal the aileron pushrod holes although there is plenty of air enters through those holes. I sealed along the side and back of the seats with soft panels that velcro to the seat pan.
Air then came through the joystick cutout in the seat pan but a boot fixed that. The flaps have the added advantage of stopping things from falling under the seat where they might interfere with control movement.

Pteer

Ooooh! - Nice. Deferent approach to mine but would seem to be just a effective.
Skippydiesel

Postby Skippydiesel » Tue May 24, 2022 6:57 am

GraemeSmith wrote:
Skippydiesel wrote:Making a paper cone, to use as a pattern for my felt draft excluder idea should be easy.

I can make a cone okay, even checked out some "How To..." videos (there are heaps) but do you think I can make one that has just the right dimensions??? Nooooo!

FRUSTRATION!!! - just have to make more cones, in the hope one comes close to my careful measurements.

Best I can describe - you need to tilt the cone forward - quite significantly so the center axis of the cone matches the line of the stick when pushed full forward. Then cut the base obliquely at the base to match the seat pan.

The cone also needs to be "longer" than the stick by almost twice the stick length - so when fitted to the stick and squashed down - you get the amount of material you need to allow it to flex in all directions. So the cone is taller and "pointier" than you might imagine it should be.

Thanks Graeme. Me thinks you are in the control (Joy")stick department (have already done this in thin flexible Aniline leather to match seat cushions).

I have moved on to the the aileron rods (where they enter through the cockpit wall).

This job is now also done. The cones I made, are of 3mm tick wool felt, secured in the wing root, projecting through the fuselage wall, into the cockpit floor area. They are not tight on the aileron push rods (just a neat fit) so they slip and their height is sufficient to allow full movement in the unlikely event of the cone material somehow grabbing the rod. The cone shape accommodates the aileron rod movement in all directions.
Skippydiesel

Previous

Return to Sonex