Lexan Windscreen

Discussion for builders, pilots, owners, and those interested in building or owning a Sonex.

Lexan Windscreen

Postby Skippydiesel » Thu Apr 21, 2022 6:28 pm

Just wondering what might have caused the following symptom;

My recently installed Lexan windscreen has developed some small/short (3mm) stress cracks on one side of the front bow . The cracks are not full depth.

What think you??
Skippydiesel

Re: Lexan Windscreen

Postby Bryan Cotton » Thu Apr 21, 2022 8:00 pm

Did you polish the edges/corners? If not it can be prone to crack when you bend it.
Bryan Cotton
Poplar Grove, IL C77
Waiex 191 N191YX
Taildragger, Aerovee, acro ailerons
dual sticks with sport trainer controls
Prebuilt spars and machined angle kit
Year 2 flying and approaching 200 hours December 23
Bryan Cotton

Postby wlarson861 » Thu Apr 21, 2022 11:31 pm

Many solvents and especially auto gas will crack Lexan.
Bill Larson
N861SX
Sonex, polished, tail wheel, Generation 4 Jabiru 3300
wlarson861

Postby Skippydiesel » Fri Apr 22, 2022 3:38 am

wlarson861 wrote:Many solvents and especially auto gas will crack Lexan.

Definitely no fuel/hydrocarbons of any kind - engine has yet to be started.
Skippydiesel

Postby Skippydiesel » Fri Apr 22, 2022 3:43 am

Bryan Cotton wrote:Did you polish the edges/corners? If not it can be prone to crack when you bend it.

Short answear - dont know for sure. I purchased the nearly completed Sonex from another builder. He is incredibly particular so I would think so. Will ask him.

In the mean time; Just in case the cracks were caused by uneven/over tightening, I have backed off all screws on the front bow and then tightened them just enough to stop the countersunk washer from turning.
Skippydiesel

Postby N43WX » Fri Apr 22, 2022 7:12 am

Not quite to this point, but can someone clarify the polishing of lexan corners? I haven't heard this before. Is it essentially just deburring? Scotchbrite or other? Not polishing as in using any chemicals?
N43WX

Postby Mike53 » Fri Apr 22, 2022 8:05 am

N43WX wrote:Not quite to this point, but can someone clarify the polishing of lexan corners? I haven't heard this before. Is it essentially just deburring? Scotchbrite or other? Not polishing as in using any chemicals?

Pretty sure he is talking about deburring or putting a slight chamfer on the edge of the hole.It is also a good idea to drill a small hole at the end of the crack (1/32 bit) as this will prevent the further expansion of the crack.
Mike
I know but one freedom, and that is the freedom of the mind.
Antoine de Saint-Exupery
Reserved C-FONX for the 80th Onex,Hummel 85HP ,Tri gear,GRT Mini X EFIS,and EMS,iFly 740 GPS
Mike53

Postby DCASonex » Fri Apr 22, 2022 8:27 am

If cracks are radiating from drilled holes, might be due to lubricant on drill bit. make sure drill bits are washed clean of any lubricant or solvent when drilling lexan.

David A.
DCASonex

Postby Bryan Cotton » Fri Apr 22, 2022 12:48 pm

N43WX wrote:Not quite to this point, but can someone clarify the polishing of lexan corners? I haven't heard this before. Is it essentially just deburring? Scotchbrite or other? Not polishing as in using any chemicals?

I sanded them smooth and also sanded the corners a little bit.
Bryan Cotton
Poplar Grove, IL C77
Waiex 191 N191YX
Taildragger, Aerovee, acro ailerons
dual sticks with sport trainer controls
Prebuilt spars and machined angle kit
Year 2 flying and approaching 200 hours December 23
Bryan Cotton

Postby Skippydiesel » Fri Apr 22, 2022 7:24 pm

DCASonex wrote:If cracks are radiating from drilled holes, might be due to lubricant on drill bit. make sure drill bits are washed clean of any lubricant or solvent when drilling lexan.

David A.

In my (lexan) case they are very short (max 3mm) not full depth, located together, in the bottom left corner of the forward edge of the windscreen. They are probably only 6 cracks in total, appearing to come/radiate from the outer edge of the lexan.

As indicated above my initial analysis is thet the screws may have been over tight or unevenly tightened, causing a stress situation in one location. Hence my careful retightening of each screw, until I could not rotate the countersunk washer by finger pressure.
Skippydiesel

Next

Return to Sonex