Can flap hinge pin be installed from inboard side?

Discussion for builders, pilots, owners, and those interested in building or owning a Sonex.

Can flap hinge pin be installed from inboard side?

Postby sjakulski » Sun Dec 19, 2021 1:11 pm

Can the flap hinge pin be installed from the inboard side once the wing is installed? Or, does the hinge pin have to be installed from the outboard side, nearest the aileron? Sonex /Waiex
sjakulski

Re: Can flap hinge pin be installed from inboard side?

Postby sonex892. » Sun Dec 19, 2021 8:50 pm

sjakulski wrote:Can the flap hinge pin be installed from the inboard side once the wing is installed?

I say no. Aileron pin can go in or out either way but not the flaps.
Steve
Lazair kit 1981 sold
Sonerai 2LS plansbuilt 2003 sold
Sonex kit 2010
Sonerai 2LS project rotax 912
sonex892.

Postby GraemeSmith » Mon Dec 20, 2021 8:47 am

Not unless you make a hole in the empennage and insert it (while flexing it) from the inside.

hinge.jpg
Flap Pin is at bottom of Red Circle
hinge.jpg (169.51 KiB) Viewed 1419 times
Graeme JW Smith
GraemeSmith

Postby Area 51% » Mon Dec 20, 2021 3:39 pm

sjakulski wrote:Can the flap hinge pin be installed from the inboard side once the wing is installed?

Why would you even want to with nothing blocking the pin on the outboard end?
Area 51%

Postby sjakulski » Mon Dec 20, 2021 10:05 pm

GraemeSmith wrote:Not unless you make a hole in the empennage and insert it (while flexing it) from the inside.

hinge.jpg
GraemeSmith wrote:Not unless you make a hole in the empennage and insert it (while flexing it) from the inside.

hinge.jpg
Thank you. I figured not but I have not installed the wing to fuselage yet to know for sure. And, the plans fail to impart some of these helpful nice-to-know facts.

Question was raised because the flap hinge insertion is tight, requiring a drill to insert, and I was not sure if the flap hinge could be accessed outboard once the aileron is on. It can, as I have since discovered in my test fitting. But I have since decided to use a different pin locking method versus that provided in the plans that will still permit access to the hinge pin for removal. That is I lock it in using a “capped” hinge knuckle inboard, and a seperate slide on capped hinge outboard that gets affixed onto the rear spar flange.
sjakulski

Return to Sonex