Canopy lifts

Discussion for builders, pilots, owners, and those interested in building or owning a Sonex.

Canopy lifts

Postby Kai » Tue Aug 03, 2021 3:49 am

Sonex #0525 was finished in 2005 with a 85 HPJab 22A.

I finally came to the conclusion that enough is enough- the thing recently took to the air with 120 ponies. Cruise went up- no surprise there!

I had a friend take some inflight photos- yikes!! Those taken on the left side all show that the rear part of the canopy lifts up from the turtledeck bow. I don’t know if this is outside suction or inside pressure, but it is definitely there. This is drag- I hate drag (previous sailplane driver).

My installation is completely standard with the locking angle on the left side according to the drawings. No slack with just a tad of friction when moving forward to close.

The question is what you guys are doing to keep the canopy in place?

Thanks
Kai
Kai

Re: Canopy lifts

Postby DCASonex » Tue Aug 03, 2021 9:07 am

Kai, Assuming hinge and latch are both secure, the rear canopy bow must be flexing to allow part of the canopy to project above the turtle deck. I posted a photo of a very simple diagonal brace from rear corner at hinge to about top center of bow that also splices into the horizontal cross bar that really stiffens the whole canopy. might be a quick fix for your problem.

David A.
DCASonex

Postby Kai » Thu Aug 05, 2021 2:11 am

David,

Good idea- I’ll try it.

Thanks
Kai
Kai

Postby DCASonex » Thu Aug 05, 2021 9:21 am

Kai,

As I mentioned in another post, be sure to install that working from inside with canopy closed. Canopy flexes too much when open to ever get it right trying to fit it when open and the resulting triangulation of joining members does make it very stiff.

David A.
DCASonex

Return to Sonex