buying a sonex

Discussion for builders, pilots, owners, and those interested in building or owning a Sonex.

Re: buying a sonex

Postby GraemeSmith » Tue Jul 06, 2021 8:31 pm

See this post about how I did it:

viewtopic.php?f=67&p=47682#p47554
Graeme JW Smith
GraemeSmith

Postby Scott Todd » Tue Jul 06, 2021 9:40 pm

I always recommend potential buyers take a third party with them on pre-buy's. They are not emotionally or financially attached in any way and often provide objective opinions. Sellers will skew discussions towards a sale and the new excited buyer will often hear what they want to hear instead of what they need to hear.

Members, especially new ones, should also put a location in their signature, profile, or something, especially on these kinds of posts. It might make a local builder/owner offer assistance easier.
Scott Todd

Postby Skippydiesel » Tue Jul 06, 2021 11:00 pm

Great stuff Graeme - enjoyed every word of your Sonex purchase BUT would like a lot more detail on the peculiarities of Sonex (all aircraft have them) that I should look out for.

The Sonex in my sights, will be the fourth aircraft (first Sonex) I have inspected with a view to purchase. Came close to purchasing every one, last hurdle revelations/problems saw me walk away.

My modus operandi is to draw up a chart of all points of interest.

I start with the obvious details: Name & Contact Details of seller, then move on - Make- Model - Year - airframe serial no - registration - Engine make, hours, SN, Prop - etc. etc.

List Service Bulletins Accident history - maintenance (major/minor) - etc etc

I divide up/list the aircraft into it components & inspect methodically all "bits" make comments accordingly eg Left Wing Upper..... Left Wing Lower..... Pitot/Static tube -- Aileron.... Flap.......

I engage the service of an aircraft mechanic (L2 or higher here in Australia).

I try for the advice/insights of a mentor, experienced in the Make/Model - that's where I am at now.
Skippydiesel

Postby philb » Thu Jul 08, 2021 9:47 am

well found that vid says loads and now lots to think about 500x5 wheels a defo need
philb

Postby tx_swordguy » Thu Jul 08, 2021 3:14 pm

Philb, my jab uses a prince p prop dont remember the numbers on it. My sensenich prop gave me better climb slightly but the prince loads the engine up better and keeps my egt and cht down better than the sensenich. As far a a tri gear a friend of mine built a tri gear waiex and flew mostly off grass with wheel pants. Im sorry but dont know the size tires. He did say he keeps the nose off in landing until it cant stay up anymore. He was very aware of keeping the weight off his nose wheel as much as possible. That said he never had a problem, but the turf was better than average and he sold it with only about 150 hrs on it . For occasional grass i think tri gear is fine but might look into conventional if doing it all the time. I personally think they look better as tail wheel.
Mark Whiddon
T25 Aero Estates
Sonex N889AP
jabiru 3300 solid lifter
tx_swordguy

Postby Skippydiesel » Sun Sep 05, 2021 3:24 am

Sooo! Sonex has no unique characteristics/flaws that a buyer might want to look for??????

Surely there are informed owners out there, who can comment/advise on Sonex / Rotax 912 ULS pre purchase inspections.
Skippydiesel

Previous

Return to Sonex