The Tool Shed (s/n 1013 rebuild)

Discussion for builders, pilots, owners, and those interested in building or owning a Sonex.

Re: The Tool Shed (s/n 1013 rebuild)

Postby pappas » Thu May 20, 2021 7:49 pm

The vertical side exhaust vents are standard equip on the "B" models. The sides of the "B" models cowls are more perpendicular to the airflow than the "A" models are. I don't know if the converging angles of the "A" model would have a negative effect on the low-pressure scavenging of the lower cowl air or not. I bet Kerry would know. Worth an email to him.
Lou Pappas
Phoenix, AZ
RV-7A (Building)
Waiex B Turbo
RV-8
Waiex Legacy 3300
Hiperlight SNS-9
Falcon Ultralight[/b]
pappas

Finally: RevMaster

Postby BRS » Fri Jun 04, 2021 12:17 am

Picked this up today. Won't get to look inside the box until tomorrow. Sure hope it contains a R2300 and all related stuff.

R2300-sm.jpeg
RevMaster R2300
R2300-sm.jpeg (60.93 KiB) Viewed 3236 times
-Brock
Sonex-A (s/n 1013)
R2300, P-tip 54/50
Center Stick
V16, TT22
BRS

Revmaster Progress

Postby BRS » Sun Jun 27, 2021 6:25 pm

Here is an update on the RevMaster R2300 install progress (replacing Aerovee).

Engine mounting was straight forward, after-all it is a VW. Baffles are almost done. This was quite a challenge as the Aerovee baffle kit is very poorly documented and some parts have the same number stamped on them as well as some parts were just wrong. I ended up making most of the front parts from scratch. Though the kit did get me started which was a big help.

RevMaster.jpg
Front baffles have since been installed
RevMaster.jpg (238.11 KiB) Viewed 3083 times

The cowl was in need of fiberglass work so I didn't mind cutting a few holes to accommodate the oil cooler and exhaust. These will be closed over.

snx-Cowl_OilCooler.jpg
'click to see entire picture'

SNX_Cowl_oilCooler.jpg

Exhaust exit is elongated so that the cowl can be hinged at the bottom and swung up. This will have a cooling augmenting fairing over it.

snx-CowlExhaust.jpg
-Brock
Sonex-A (s/n 1013)
R2300, P-tip 54/50
Center Stick
V16, TT22
BRS

Postby pappas » Mon Jun 28, 2021 10:10 am

I notice that there appears to be a very large gap between the rear of the crankshaft hub/propeller mount and the front of the cowl. Is this just the camera angle or is the cowl too short? Too short, measured from the firewall forward, may account for your need to cut holes in the cowl to clear the oil cooler and front left cylinder.

The cowl is within 1/4 of an inch of the rear of the hub on my Aerovee turbo. I didn't have to cut any of those holes. I have a B model. The only cowls that I have seen cut for cylinder or exhaust clearance were on the early Legacy models with the 3300 Jab. Those were for the front cylinder exhaust pipes.
Lou Pappas
Phoenix, AZ
RV-7A (Building)
Waiex B Turbo
RV-8
Waiex Legacy 3300
Hiperlight SNS-9
Falcon Ultralight[/b]
pappas

Postby BRS » Mon Jun 28, 2021 4:47 pm

pappas wrote:I notice that there appears to be a very large gap between the rear of the crankshaft hub/propeller mount and the front of the cowl. Is....

Pappas,
You are correct. It did dawn on me the other day that the cowl was short. Too bad I didn't install the cowl before pulling the AeroVee from the airframe. I'm curious to know if the builder originally cut the cowl short or if the R2300 is a bit longer than the AeroVee. For certain the cooler is lower or further forward.

In any case. It is much easier to make a few holes with patches than to start over with a new cowl. Though that is always a possibility down the road.
-Brock
Sonex-A (s/n 1013)
R2300, P-tip 54/50
Center Stick
V16, TT22
BRS

Postby WesRagle » Mon Jun 28, 2021 5:18 pm

Hi Brock (and others),

While researching engines for my Onex I polled some RevMaster fliers. One of the responders offered the following. What I think is the answer to your question is highlighted in green.

5) Installation Issues: The Revmaster has a different backplate to the Aerovee engine requiring the Aerovee mount to be modified. The mod kit can be purchased from Revmaster for $120. Easy to fit.
The carburetor has a ram air intake requiring a molding to be created on the lower cowl.
The bottom mounted oil cooler requires a slot to be cut in the lower cowl.
The engine baffling is quite different from the Aerovee so you have to scratch build that yourself.
Also the crankshaft is 2" longer to accommodate an extra front bearing. This puts the propeller further forward so I had to extend the rear of the cowling by 2".
The engine is 10lb heavier than the Aerovee so this will reduce your available payload.
The carburetor as supplied is way too rich at idle when the correct setting for full power is achieved. Revmaster can supply a modified needle valve to fix this but mine has only just arrived and I have not yet fitted it. Others say it works well though.

Wes
Wes Ragle
Onex #89
Conventional Gear
Long Tips
Hummel 2400 w/Zenith Carb
Prince P Tip 54x50
First Flight 06/23/2020
42.8 Hrs. as of 10/30/21
WesRagle

Postby BRS » Mon Jun 28, 2021 5:58 pm

Thanks Wes. That's a helpful post.

BTW, the mount mod arrived with the engine and I'm not aware of any up-charge for it. It was a very easy mod, requiring the cutting and removal of the top tube then replacing it with a bolt-in tube that uses the mounting bolts. It sits closer to the firewall than stock.

Lengthening the cowl seems like it would be a huge chore and easier to start with a new blank cowl. Unless the factory cowl is too short to begin with. Though lengthening the front of the cowl and blending it into the back of the propeller might be an option.

Knowing about the extra 10 lbs means that I will for certain move the smallish smoke oil tank from the firewall. Been thinking of using something larger and mounting it in the side of the baggage compartment. Though won't act on this until the W&B is done.
-Brock
Sonex-A (s/n 1013)
R2300, P-tip 54/50
Center Stick
V16, TT22
BRS

Postby WesRagle » Mon Jun 28, 2021 9:15 pm

Hi Brock,

Yes, the cowl for the Onex is just long enough for the Hummel (and I assume the AeroVee). It would not be long enough for the RevMaster.

Wes
Wes Ragle
Onex #89
Conventional Gear
Long Tips
Hummel 2400 w/Zenith Carb
Prince P Tip 54x50
First Flight 06/23/2020
42.8 Hrs. as of 10/30/21
WesRagle

Postby Matt541 » Tue Jun 29, 2021 11:04 am

Happy to see your progress on "The Tool Shed" Brock, the 2300 looks great hanging on there!

My cowling also has the little bump outs for the oil cooler. Yup, longer crankshaft for the extra oiled bearing, but that's one of the things we like about Revmasters.

What are you doing to the cowling for the intake on your Revflow carb? Mine just has small formed scoop, but I know others have glassed in intake scoops from RVs.

Side note: My smoke oil tank is mounted just behind the seat, but like you said, have to see how the W&B comes out.

KIMG8324.JPG
Sonex 541, TD, Center Stick, Revmaster w/ Prince P <SOLD>
:arrow: Anxiously awaiting the new Highwing
Matt541

Postby BRS » Tue Jun 29, 2021 4:03 pm

Matt,
Is your oil tank removable? I would want make it so, that way when flying with two people or with baggage the weight and bulk is not a hinderance. how big is it?

For the intake I've ordered RevMaster's ram-air-bypass filter. I won't know if the cowl needs a bump for that until it arrives. For [ram] air path, I was thinking of running a scat hose to the baffle in front of the front left (from rear) cylinder. opposite the oil filter.

Today I started fitting the upper cowl and trimming the baffles. It was a delight to see that it will all fit quite nicely. The finned crank case vent thing got de-finned, as it contacted the upper cowl. I called Joe this morning and asked why it was finned. He laughed and said they designed that 40 years ago and wanted to jazz it up a bit. The fins do nothing.
Attachments
VentBoxThingy.jpg
-Brock
Sonex-A (s/n 1013)
R2300, P-tip 54/50
Center Stick
V16, TT22
BRS

PreviousNext

Return to Sonex