My Sonex Project

Discussion for builders, pilots, owners, and those interested in building or owning a Sonex.

My Sonex Project

Postby Matt541 » Fri Jan 24, 2020 4:22 pm

Wasn't sure where would be best to post this, I didn't build her, but I do have a decent list of things to do to get 541 flying again. As mentioned in my introduction thread, she's currently in my garage with my old car holding the wings for me.
KIMG7951 (2).JPG

It did sit for a few years so I'm taking the time to go through it as well. Benefit of a small simple airplane is it shouldn't take that long. (Knocks on my own head..)

The MUST DOs:

1. New canopy and windscreen. The canopy was shattered when the POs hangar mate left the plane outside without it latched. Windscreen has multiple cracks both at mounting holes and in the bow shape.
2. New tires and tubes. Good tread, but dry rot has definitely set in.
3. Get the engine running. Seriously, I haven't heard it run yet. Battery was dead, fuel was old, and the weather has been crap when I have free time. I did pull a few blades through before getting it.
4. Fix one horizontal stab tip. It got damaged in the U-Haul on the way home, was tough to secure the tail and the truck didn't help any. Used the interior pieces to cushion it, but still got some cracking.
5. Repair canopy frame. When the wind took the canopy and shattered it, it also sheared the rear bow completely through. I'm going to attempt to repair it. But a new bow is cheap enough.
6. Clean the heck out of it and take on polishing. It needs it!

The SHOULD dos:

1. Install a transponder and ADS-B out. I've got an antenna on the belly, but nothing else. I'm really limiting my cross country options to the East without it. $$$
2. Sand cracking spots and refinish the cowling. Extra dimples were added for the Revmaster engine and I'm seeing some cracking in the top coat.
3. Modify and install wheel pants. The PO installed a nice set of O' Keefe brakes, but never got to fly it with them. (Sorry dude.) Wheel pants haven't been modified yet.

And the would be nice to do:

1. Panel upgrade. Looking at different solutions to replace the "AveoMaxiSingles", can't find much about them online. Would be nice to integrate the transponder control into the EFIS. $$$
2. Complete the warbird theme to complement the shark teeth already on the cowl. I love the look of the plane with them, just a bit plain still. Not going too crazy.
3. Figure out a design for a baggage compartment. My airplane has a nicely upholstered cover over the turtle deck hole while the compartment is home to the smoke system tank. I'm from the school of thought that an airplane has to be able to carry something, even if it is just a flight bag or a tent and sleeping bag for fly ins. Sonex does give a pretty generous space back there, but weight limits and what not.
4. Swing back canopy frame. All of the info I see on here for it references the ASA website, but that is currently a dead link. Anyone have more info on it?
5. Finish the cabin heat. There is a heat muff installed, but nothing else. (Been following Mike Smith's active thread.) Might just go with seat warmers, although I'm really digging the heated vest I got.

I'm sure more squawks will pop up as I work through the airplane. Hoping to have her ready for spring!
Sonex 541, TD, Center Stick, Revmaster w/ Prince P <SOLD>
:arrow: Anxiously awaiting the new Highwing
Matt541

Re: My Sonex Project

Postby DCASonex » Sat Jan 25, 2020 9:43 am

Suggestion, just go ahead and completely replace the canopy frame. if old one was bent it will give you nothing but problems. A new one may be both faster and less expensive in long run.

If that engine has not run in a long time, a very complete inspection is needed at a minimum, and might consider tearing it down for a rebuild.

David A.
DCASonex

Postby Matt541 » Sat Jan 25, 2020 11:47 am

Those are both very good points, thanks David!

Looks like it's new frame time then, didn't consider that but it makes sense the way it broke that the front bow would be tweaked too.

The PO said the engine was last ran a few months ago, but who knows, time has a way of flying by. I plan on looking into it tomorrow, will pull the plugs and scope the cylinders.
Matt541

Postby GordonTurner » Sat Jan 25, 2020 2:48 pm

John Gillis “Fastj22” is the resident expert on the swing over canopy.
Waiex 158 New York. N88YX registered.
3.0 Liter Corvair built, run, and installed.
Garmin panel, Shorai LiFePo batteries.
GordonTurner

Postby Sonex1517 » Sat Jan 25, 2020 3:38 pm

I asked about swing back kits a year or more ago, and was told others had inquired and there would possibly be some available. I never heard back after that.

I’m still interested and I believe others are also. Let’s hope they become available again
Robbie Culver
Sonex 1517
Aero Estates (T25)
First flight 10/10/2015
325+ hours
Jabiru 3300 Gen 4
Prince P Tip
Taildragger
N1517S
Sonex1517

Postby Matt541 » Thu Jan 30, 2020 7:27 pm

Thanks guys, I reached out to John about it and got some great feedback.

Also found that "rynoth" has an excellent write up about them on his blog: http://www.rynoth.com/wordpress/waiex/2015/03/10/general-fuselage-14-swing-back-canopy-completion/

Doesn't seem to be too difficult...
Matt541

Postby Matt541 » Thu Jan 30, 2020 7:31 pm

I'm not going to post every video I make, and fair warning it is kinda long.

But here is an overview video to go along with my project write up.

Matt541

Postby Rynoth » Thu Jan 30, 2020 8:25 pm

Matt541 wrote:Thanks guys, I reached out to John about it and got some great feedback.

Also found that "rynoth" has an excellent write up about them on his blog: http://www.rynoth.com/wordpress/waiex/2015/03/10/general-fuselage-14-swing-back-canopy-completion/

Doesn't seem to be too difficult...

Yea unfortunately I see too that the link to the kit is dead... I still have the plans to assemble that kit but the plans don't include dimensions for the provided parts. In particular the top-center swing arm is an aluminum welded part that I don't have any idea how to reproduce/replicate.

Just to give you some warning and maybe some encouragement, I, along with many others, found the Canopy and the Engine cowl to be some of the most frustrating parts of the project. Mostly because of their custom nature, they become an arts-and-crafts project versus the more logical/linear nature of the rest of the build. I say this so that you don't get discouraged, you have a tricky task ahead of you to replace the canopy but relatively speaking the rest of the airframe is more straightforward. Other than the powerplant, which is it's own beast entirely.
Ryan Roth
N197RR - Waiex #197 (Turbo Aerovee Taildragger)
Knoxville, TN (Hangar at KRKW)
My project blog: http://www.rynoth.com/wordpress/waiex/
Time-lapse video of my build: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q8QTd2HoyAM
Rynoth

Postby gyroron » Fri Jan 31, 2020 10:38 am

keep the videos coming, I enjoyed the first one
Ron Awad
Legacy Model Waiex TD
3300 Jabiru
Charlotte NC area
gyroron

Postby Matt541 » Fri Jan 31, 2020 6:35 pm

Thanks gyroron, that means a lot! I've got 2 more in the pipeline, hopefully upload this weekend.
Matt541

Next

Return to Sonex