Canopy Lock

Discussion for builders, pilots, owners, and those interested in building or owning a Sonex.

Canopy Lock

Postby GraemeSmith » Sat Sep 28, 2019 7:27 am

Has anyone come up with an alternative to the canopy lock pin?

While giving a safety briefing to a passenger - it became quite clear that the multiple actions of pressing the center of the lock pin while withdrawing it and then sliding the handle to open the canopy might just be a tad too complicated in a high stress situation with a disabled pilot.

(Though I do add that kicking your way through the thin plexi may also work - it has for two Flight Designs that have ended up on their backs at our airport in the last two years!).

It would be relatively easy to fabricate a swing arm that held the opening handle in place - but that is gravity dependent and would disengage in a negative G moment. A sprung snubber of some type that could be knocked either way could also work - but might get accidently knocked away.

Clearly the lock has to be positive - but I'm scratching my head trying to come up with something that is more passenger/neophyte easier to disengage.

Ideas?
Graeme JW Smith
GraemeSmith

Re: Canopy Lock

Postby Onex107 » Sat Sep 28, 2019 10:33 am

This may not apply to a Sonex, the Onex standard canopy slide is on the left with the throttle at the forward end. My arm rests on the slide handle and throttle and I discarded the locking pin many hours ago. I think there is a way to enable the canopy to be opened from the outside, but I don't think its necessary. I also think the negative pressure/lift generated by the canopy shape keeps the slide tight. Going on 300 hours with no movement. Its probably a good idea to have a sign on the outside with instructions for how to open the canopy. The slide tab is not self explanatory to a rescue person.
OneX 107
N2107X
Onex107

Postby Bill Sargent » Sat Sep 28, 2019 4:40 pm

Here in New Zealand I have always understood that any locking mechanism has to be able to be opened from the outside. The pin is not.
I have a "L" shaped bracket about 2inch ( it is against my nature to use imperial measurements!!!) at the rear or the canopy slider. It is pivoted at the rear on a 4mm ( thats better) screw that goes through to the outside. On the outside it has a handle about 1/4 by 1 inch.
Both the L and the handle are locked to the threaded screw, and the screw is threaded into the frame to act as a pivot.
When the canopy lock is slid forward the L is rotated down to lock in behind it to stop it from sliding back into the open position.
Because of the length of the L and the rearward pivot point it has NO tendency to pop up during events such as sudden gusts of gravity.
My daughter has cut her knees on the bottom of the panel in unexpected turbulence and the latch stays shut.
I am sure that when I built this latch in 2000 it didnt take as long as trying to explain it. Sorry.
I have just about finished editing (!!!!!!!!) a video of a flight I took in my Sonex I will tag on a shot or two of the latch system.
Bill Sargent
Sonex #160
ZK_WBS
Bill Sargent

Postby AlexZ » Mon Oct 21, 2019 1:29 pm

Something like this?
Alex
Sonex Legacy TD PH-AWX Aerovee
https://www.facebook.com/SonexPHAWX/
RV-7A PH-PWP
AlexZ