Taildragging Conversion

Discussion for builders, pilots, owners, and those interested in building or owning a Sonex.

Taildragging Conversion

Postby rwthomas1 » Mon Mar 11, 2019 11:51 pm

Hello All,
I introduced myself in a previous post, I have an almost completed tricycle gear Sonex I want to convert to a taildragger. I have searched the forum, but not found exactly what I want, so I'll ask.

Looking at the plans, it appears that this is relatively simple. The bottom aft fuselage is not installed yet so I have access to the interior of the tail, no problem. Order/fabricate tailwheel mount parts, and tailwheel assembly.

The conventional main gear attach to the engine mount, so that part is as simple as ordering a new engine mount, gear legs, etc.

Looking at the existing main tricycle gear mounts in the fuselage, under the seat, it seems like a bit of work to remove them, with not much to gain except loosing a bit of weight. Am I correct in thinking to simply fabricate plugs for those holes and be done with it?

This doesn't look all that difficult, am I missing something?

Thanks, RT
rwthomas1

Re: Taildragging Conversion

Postby DCASonex » Tue Mar 12, 2019 9:11 am

Weight alone might be sufficient reason to remove the old mounts. Also cleans things up a bit giving more open area to fit other items and or storage.

David A.
DCASonex

Postby fastj22 » Tue Mar 12, 2019 10:33 pm

rwthomas1 wrote:Hello All,
I introduced myself in a previous post, I have an almost completed tricycle gear Sonex I want to convert to a taildragger. I have searched the forum, but not found exactly what I want, so I'll ask.

Looking at the plans, it appears that this is relatively simple. The bottom aft fuselage is not installed yet so I have access to the interior of the tail, no problem. Order/fabricate tailwheel mount parts, and tailwheel assembly.

The conventional main gear attach to the engine mount, so that part is as simple as ordering a new engine mount, gear legs, etc.

Looking at the existing main tricycle gear mounts in the fuselage, under the seat, it seems like a bit of work to remove them, with not much to gain except loosing a bit of weight. Am I correct in thinking to simply fabricate plugs for those holes and be done with it?

This doesn't look all that difficult, am I missing something?

Thanks, RT

I converted mine. Left the weldments for the main gear in place. Yes weight penalty. But removing will cause trauma. I’m converting to B model and scavenged the weldments from the old fuse to give to another builder. Ended up using a grinder to cut the rivets heads. If going tri to tail, leave them in place.

John Gillis
SEL Private, Comm Glider, Tow pilot (Pawnee Driver)
Waiex N116YX, Jabiru 3300, Tail dragger,
First flight, 3/16/2013. 403 hours and climbing.
Home: CO15. KOSH x 5
Flying a B-Model Conversion (Super Bee Baby!)
fastj22

Taildragging Conversion

Postby edclee » Fri Apr 05, 2019 5:18 pm

I think the main gear legs are longer on the taildragger!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
edclee

Postby RCfly46 » Sat Apr 06, 2019 6:24 pm

Yes, the taildragger legs are longer, so you'll need new ones.

What engine are you using? I have a new Aerovee TD mount I don't need, I'd be happy to have someone put it to good use. Shipping would be the challenge.

Joe in SE Mich
Waiex 181
Fuselage on gear
Corvair 2.7
RCfly46

Taildragging Conversion

Postby wav8tor » Sat Jul 13, 2019 5:51 pm

I have tricycle gear and tail wheel and motor mount. Will trade for your main gear mounts.
Mike
wav8tor@aol.com

wav8tor

Postby rwthomas1 » Mon Jul 15, 2019 12:33 am

I sold most everything with the FWF package. The only thing left is the actual main gear welded steel mounts in the fuselage. I had intended to just leave them be as removing them requires drilling out rivets in a fuselage that is already painted. I know I can get them out, I disassembled a flap with rodent damage, just because. But sometimes it's better not to mess with stuff?
rwthomas1

Taildragging Conversion

Postby wav8tor » Sat Jul 27, 2019 10:30 pm

If you will remove the main tricycle gear mounts I will pay $100 plus shipping to Indiana
Mike wav8tor@aol.com
Phone 317-339-7781

wav8tor

Return to Sonex