Engines that have Sonex flight time?

Discussion for builders, pilots, owners, and those interested in building or owning a Sonex.

Re: Engines that have Sonex flight time?

Postby lutorm » Wed Jun 19, 2019 2:29 pm

One of our local EAA members have a flying Sonex with a Viking, too.
lutorm

Engines that have Sonex flight time?

Postby edclee » Fri Apr 03, 2020 1:35 pm

Corvair 120 hp on mine. 450 hours on it since 8/2016
Ed N72EL

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
edclee

Re: Engines that have Sonex flight time?

Postby Kai » Sat Apr 04, 2020 2:42 am

There is a slight error in the original posting.

Concerning the installation of a turbo Rotax in Norway (Sonex A #0037 LN-YYS), it should be noted that the aircraft belonged to Mr. Thomas Hauklien, not me. It was sold after a few years when the conversion had been properly tested for reliability, and continues to delight its new owner with its daily basis stellar performance. See the many Youtube recordings.

By the way, Thomas is CEO of his private company Edge Performance, and specializes in bolt on conversions (mainly EFI and Turbo) for the Rotax 912 ULS (as well as Yamaha aero derivatives for even more power). His success has been astounding, with several hundred Edge conversions running worldwide. A normally aspirated Edge EP915ECI (which started life as an ordinary Rotax 912 ULS) has a reliable max output of 120HP with efi, special inlet plenum, slightly increased bore, a slightly fuller cam profile, piston cooling and a welded crankshaft. Now that certified aircraft are getting too expensive for gliding/soaring clubs to operate as tugs, they turn to this engine in Kitfox type LSA aircraft with great success. Of course, with various turbo adaptions, there is even more power available.

My own Sonex A (LN-YKL), was always operated with a Jabiru 22A gen 2 engine. Takeoff with two on a grass field often exercised the big thing we sit on, so we decided to turbo it. There are a few Youtube recordings of it. After that the plane went like the proverbial bat out of the hot place, but it gobbled cylinders and pistons. When these became increasingly difficult to source (so don’t go down that road!), it was decided to install the EP 915 ECI, and the conversion is still ongoing.

Thanks
Kai
Kai

Previous

Return to Sonex