Flight control assemblies

Discussion for builders, pilots, owners, and those interested in building or owning a Sonex.

Re: Flight control assemblies

Postby Area 51% » Sun Mar 31, 2019 5:33 pm

Not sure what the outboard holes are for, but I doubt the pushrods would clear the bulkhead holes if located there.

I'm at this same point in my build and just crawled under the beast to look at the mixer and attachments. I don't see how the idler-to-mixer bolt could contact the mixer-to-ruddervator pushrod bolts unless you have an unusually tall stack of washers. I'm seeing at least 1/2in clearance between the two.

Like most, I assume, I've deformed the "captive" 970 washers to miss the rod end.
The clearance issue I'm facing is at close to full up deflection of the mixer. The AN960 stand-off washer is coming in contact with the bushing area of the rod end. Not by a lot, but it is binding before contact with the up stop. The only way I've been able to get full up at the mixer without the "pinch", is to reduce the diameter of the 960 washer to about .420in. I'm sure higher quality rod ends would allow enough movement so I wouldn't have to "massage" a spacer washer, but that's not the dish ACS served up in the hardware kit.

Mike January, the president of the Florida Sonex Association, sent me a series of pictures of his mixer/pushrods installation to compare with what I'm experiencing. PM me your email and I'll forward them to you.
Area 51%

Postby Zack » Fri May 08, 2020 12:28 pm

142YX wrote:Now for the other problem i ran into. The ruder-vator push rods bottomed out by the spherical rod-ends hitting against their upper safety washer before the assembly moved all the way to the aft stop. Sorry about the bad photo.. it was very hard to get a picture of this:

You can see here more clearly what is bottoming out. In this photo, i have two standard washers above the spherical bearing and it still bottomed out (the prints call for only one). It took THREE washers above the spherical to get all the way to the aft stop, and i find this to be somewhat ridiculous.

Waiex builders, did you have this problem? what did you do?

For the benefit of others: I ordered 3068-03 3/16 inch rod end retaining washers. https://www.pegasusautoracing.com/produ ... oduct=3068
Zack

Postby Area 51% » Fri May 08, 2020 12:56 pm

Saw these in Sport Aviation (I think) recently. Have mine on order. They look like the answer.
Area 51%

Postby Bryan Cotton » Fri May 08, 2020 1:35 pm

Those fancy washers look very nice. You can also use a bolt and a small washer to press the AN fender washer into the right size socket and do the same thing.
cup washer.jpg

I've done this a few times.
Bryan Cotton
Poplar Grove, IL C77
Waiex 191 N191YX
Taildragger, Aerovee, acro ailerons
dual sticks with sport trainer controls
Prebuilt spars and machined angle kit
Year 2 flying and approaching 200 hours December 23
Bryan Cotton

Postby Area 51% » Fri May 08, 2020 4:05 pm

I could never get a satisfactory flat spot in the middle for the bolt head to rest in.

It was probably the metric sockets I was using.
Area 51%

Postby Bryan Cotton » Fri May 08, 2020 4:40 pm

One thing I think I did was to use a short bolt, a small washer on both sides of the fender washer, and a nut socked down tight. Mine came out good, but of course my standards drop all the time as this project draws out!

And for goodness sake don't use a metric socket.
Bryan Cotton
Poplar Grove, IL C77
Waiex 191 N191YX
Taildragger, Aerovee, acro ailerons
dual sticks with sport trainer controls
Prebuilt spars and machined angle kit
Year 2 flying and approaching 200 hours December 23
Bryan Cotton

Previous

Return to Sonex