Ultimate Fuel System Thread / Poll

Discussion for builders, pilots, owners, and those interested in building or owning a Sonex.

Please select from your current configuration

I use a gascolator and have not had any problems (or burps small enough that it does not bother me)
47%
I use a gascolator and have had problems (severe burps / engine out's / lack of confidence)
19%
I do not use a gascolator and have had no problems
26%
I do not use a gascolator and have still had problems
7%
I have tried several things and cannot solve the problem no matter what i try
2%

Total votes : 43

Re: Ultimate Fuel System Thread / Poll

Postby rizzz » Wed Jan 01, 2014 7:17 pm

Ok, I found the original discussion on the sonextalk group and I was mistaken in my post above, although they do not fly the factory airplanes with a gascolator they still require a filter and low point to collect and drain water, I guess the question remains then, how do you drain with no gascolator?
Anyway, you can follow the discussion yourself here:
http://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/sone ... pics/71798
Michael
Sonex #145 from scratch (mostly)
Taildragger, 2.4L VW engine, AeroInjector, Prince 54x48 P-Tip
VH-MND, CofA issued 2nd of November 2015
First flight 7th of November 2015
Phase I Completed, 11th of February 2016
http://www.mykitlog.com/rizzz/
rizzz

Postby Onex107 » Mon Apr 21, 2014 10:39 am

What they said at the workshop was, that any water in the tank/system would be at the Aeroinjector when you started.
OneX 107
N2107X
Onex107

Postby hickej » Mon Apr 21, 2014 11:13 am

Here is my observation for what it's worth (conjecture). I was getting a large 'burp' on some take offs and so I did the search and found all the discussions of how to 'fix' the problem including to remove the gascolator. This got me thinking about the mounting which is at an angle that would allow air to collect on the firewall side of the gascolator opposite of the fuel exit to the engine. If that was happening I figured that the air would work itself out on acceleration and vibration during take off and account for my burp. My test for this was to do a full power run up prior to each flight ( much easier with hydrolic brakes) and I would sometimes get the burp on run up. My guess is that the full fuel flow and vibration work the bubble out of the gascolator during the run up. I have not had a take off burp since adding this to my checklist. Your mileage may vary.
Jim w162
hickej

Postby mike.smith » Tue Apr 22, 2014 1:08 am

Onex wrote:What they said at the workshop was, that any water in the tank/system would be at the Aeroinjector when you started.

For that reason, water is not an issue. Sediments, however, are a different matter. I have the fuel tank finger strainer and also an 80 micron fuel filter. The only way to check for sediment is to remove the filter. Not ideal.

Mike Smith
Mike Smith
Sonex N439M
Scratch built, AeroVee, Dual stick, Tail dragger
http://www.mykitlog.com/mikesmith
mike.smith

Postby billmaxmcw » Tue Apr 22, 2014 5:41 pm

Sonex/Aerovee/Aeroinjector, 2012. I had the stock gascolator setup until I hit the mountains above Pocatello on a hot day and barely got back to the airport because of the stutters. Ended my trip to Oshkosh in 2012. Now I have the straight line setup with thick insulation (firesleeve, foam, metal tape) from firewall to Aeroinjector. No problems since; made it to Oshkosh 2013.
Bill in Oregon
Bill, Oregon
2012 Sonex taildragger (kit)
Aerovee 2.1, Aeroinjector
billmaxmcw

Postby snx590 » Tue Apr 22, 2014 7:44 pm

Interesting discussion and I'm in the majority poll category so far...not that 28 total votes is statistically valid given the overall Sonex-and-related sample set these days. But I did want to add that, like Jim, I made a bracket so the gascolator would be level in cruise attitude. I'm using the Usher with no firesleeve on any lines, 3300, Aerocarb. For me personally, I'm not comfortable with any type of paper product in my fuel lines and if I make a quick re-fuel stop somewhere I'd rather have the greater margin of safety with the gascolator bowl. FWIW, only about 80 hours so far flying in the Great White North, average summer temps about mid 80s F.
Terry
Terry
Sonex #590, J3300, C-FTPH
snx590

Postby saddler » Fri Jul 18, 2014 9:07 am

Planning my fuel system right now. I think I'm going to go with the straight shot, no gascolator setup. Can someone point me in the direction of a bulkhead fitting for the fuel line? I am planning flexible braided hoses as of now. Struggling trying to find a bulkhead fitting.

Thanks!
Sean Saddler
Troy, OH
Waiex #165
First Flight 10/16/2015
https://www.facebook.com/Waiex165?ref=hl
saddler

Postby chuckster » Fri Jul 18, 2014 12:09 pm

Try aircraft spruce page 100, upper right corner
chuckster

Postby saddler » Fri Jul 18, 2014 1:06 pm

Duh, that was easy. Thanks!
Sean Saddler
Troy, OH
Waiex #165
First Flight 10/16/2015
https://www.facebook.com/Waiex165?ref=hl
saddler

Postby mike.smith » Fri Jul 18, 2014 10:22 pm

Aerovee 2.1, AeroInjector, running 100LL, no gas collator; just an 80 micron fuel filter forward of the firewall. Carb is facing so that the throttle and mixture cables enter from the front of the plane and the fuel line enters from the rear. That makes the fuel line very short; like 8". Fuel line is braided hose. Fuel line is inside fire sleeve, and then wrapped in heat resistant tape (only about 1/8" thick, with foil on the outside and an insulator on the inside). Exhausts are wrapped with header wrap. Absolutely no burps whatsoever. Idles perfectly at any outside temp, whether engine is warm or not. I have a whole 5.5 hours on the engine :-)

Mike Smith
Sonex #439
Mike Smith
Sonex N439M
Scratch built, AeroVee, Dual stick, Tail dragger
http://www.mykitlog.com/mikesmith
mike.smith

PreviousNext

Return to Sonex